pvalovich

Well Known Member
I'm an engine neophyte trying to acquire more than basic engine test/diagnostic skills. 120 hours on my -8A with no engine issues, but want to acquire the tools necessary for basic engine maintenance.

ACS offers an Engine Test Kit they tout as providing all the necessary stuff (Engine Test Kit EK5EM). Is it overkill? Anyone have an opinion on its utility?

Test Kit and then some

I have almost the exact same kit from a different company. I've used everything in the box except the cable tester, just haven't had a need for it in 5+ years doing maintenance part time on Lycoming and Continental engines. So, yeah, its a good place to start. You'll need some spark plug tools: a good spark plug wrench, gap setting and measurement tool(s), some pics and a spark plug blaster for cleaning them. I'd also recommend a set of cylinder base wrenches too.
sk

Me too

I ordered a kit from ATS (Aircraft Tool Supply). Same exact kit and almost $100 cheaper than Spruce. I like Spruce, but sometimes they are more expensive - sometimes not.

Shout out to Aircraft Spruce

I ordered a kit from ATS (Aircraft Tool Supply). Same exact kit and almost $100 cheaper than Spruce. I like Spruce, but sometimes they are more expensive - sometimes not.

I received an email today from Jim Irwin (yes, the head guy at Aircraft Spruce) regarding my post.
I was very impressed that he took the time to thank me for pointing this out. It was an oversight that ACS was being overcharged by ATS for the kits - that has since been corrected, the prices are the same.

The fact Jim monitors this site and reacted to it certainly indicates that they want our business!

I am fan of ACS and this certainly solidifies my loyaltiy with them.

The fact Jim monitors this site and reacted to it certainly indicates that they want our business!
Then maybe Jim can tell me why I just got nailed $94 for blue shipping on a 2lb fuel pump. I'm mad enough to bump some of my business elsewhere.

Then maybe Jim can tell me why I just got nailed $94 for blue shipping on a 2lb fuel pump. I'm mad enough to bump some of my business elsewhere.

I had a little shipping glitch with them on one of my orders and they promptly made it right. You might reach out to them and see. Sorry, I don't own stock in ACS, although I probably sound like I do... ;)