Hey Guys,
I posted this question on the 6 Forum without response. Does anyone have a picture that shows the ACS-600 brake reservoirs installed on a 6(A). I am not sure that I understand the plumbing and it looks like the MC's are very close together and may not accomodate the larger diameter reservoirs. ie: looks like the reservoirs might hit each other as the rudder pedals move. I would appreciate any thoughts. Don't want to start the install until I am sure they will fit. Thanks in advance!

JC

pic of install

JC,

Here is a pic of the master cylinders installed in a -7A only on the left side. It was taken back in May and the plane is now flying with about 30 hrs. on the tach.

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc013656oc.jpg

There is about .5" between the cylinders. I have not had an issue with the cylinders hitting, however, you need to get a bit creative with the brake hoses going from the cylinders to the firewall junction. The Van's supplied hoses were too long for my application and I ended up making some shorter ones myself to alleviate the extra slack hanging around.

The install has been great and my hangar mate who has a -6A with the stock brake master cylinder has had to fix leaks in his system 3 times since August. I am very pleased with how these cylinders work for me.

Jeff

I don't have a pic of my install, but I have the AC-600 reservoirs on my -6. You are correct that they come very close to hitting each other, but with some readjustment of the washers and shims in the pedal setup, you can move them far enough apart (about 3/8 inch) so that they don't contact.

What are you doing to saftey the resevoirs?

I started to do this but was scared about the clearance beween the resevoirs. I even ground down the resevoirs to increase clearence. In the end, I could never figure out a good clean strong way to saftey the resevoirs in a upright position. I was scared that if I kicked a resevoir (a very real senerio given the location), I might lock the rudder petels.

If you found away to address this, could you please post a picture? Thanks.

McFly said:
I started to do this but was scared about the clearance beween the resevoirs. I even ground down the resevoirs to increase clearence. In the end, I could never figure out a good clean strong way to saftey the resevoirs in a upright position. I was scared that if I kicked a resevoir (a very real senerio given the location), I might lock the rudder petels.

If you found away to address this, could you please post a picture? Thanks.

Good point on the potential rotation. I had the same concern. However, I just wrenched the an fittings around to orient the cylinders to the vertical and that has provided a very tight condition. Also, my brake lines that are shown in the pic of my previous post are the Van's hoses that were too long. My new setup has the shortened hoses hugging the cylinders on the outside and then they in turn are secured to the rudder pedal tubes on top by tie wraps. I personally have not found the kicking of the cylinders to be an issue.

Randy Lervold used the same set-up on his RV-8 and this is where i got the idea. Here is a link to his -8 site if you have not seen it. Good info and it shows his brake set-up as well.

http://www.romeolima.com/RV8//IdeasProducts.htm

Jeff

What do you all think, worth it?

I am on the fence with installing the individual reservoir's on pedals or going per plans. They sure do look close, but I am leaning towards doing the mod. Randy's -8 has more space than the -7's.

I am not married to or crazy about the per plans plastic hose's and firewall reservoir, but its worked on my RV-4 real well for a long time.

Obviously "You All" are doing it because you think it's worth it, but......

Any Pro's any Con's, wish I had, wish I had not's?
How do they breath? (I only do +0g acro so it is not a big issue)​
The only down side (not mentioned) I can think of is chance of small oil spills when filling the reservoirs, but that can be countered with a little care.

Thanks George

Last edited:
Good point about the reservoirs moving and jamming the pedals. I've never had one "kick loose" nor have I heard of it, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. However as the other Jeff mentioned, they're a pretty tight fit and not prone to loosening. Also, only the right side would be an issue, as one could accidentally "kick it loose." The left side would "kick loose" away from the other, and a potential jam situation.

They breath just fine. The little red vented plugs do a very good job of keeping the red stuff inside. I also do almost all +G acro, but even inverted they have never spilled a drop. Also, when filling the reservoirs, just put a baking pan under the pedals to catch any spillage. To fill them, replace the plug with a hose fitting with a short length of clear hose going into a clear bottle (all contained in the above mentioned baking pan.) Fill from the bottom with a pressure gun until the bubbles stop. Never spilled a drop on the carpet doing it this way.

I highly recommend them..

Plumbing?

Thanks for the info. Still curious about the plumbing. I have brakes on both sides of the 6. Do I need two or four reservoirs? Obviously all the old low pressure plumbing comes out but what supplies fluid to the other side if you only use two reserviors. If you only use two, would you recommend mounting them on the pilots side or co-pilots side? Thanks again for the help!

Just remove the low pressure lines from the firewall reservoir to the passenger side brakes and install the new AC-600s at that point, retaining the plumbing from the passenger side brakes to the pilot side brakes. You want to keep the reservoirs on the passenger side so that, in the event that you lose some fluid, the pilot side brakes will retain fluid the longest. (Since the lines from the passenger side also act like a reservoir for fluid.) Since you have a closed system for both pedals (right and left) you will only need one reservoir for each side of the system.

Sold
I have 2 extra A-600 resevoirs, still in the packaging from Aircraft Spruce. ACS is selling them for $11.60 each and I'd be willing to part with the both of them for $18 including shipping to anywhere in the US.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

Last edited:
Filling....

Funny, I never thought about adding fluid from the top - I always pump brake fluid in from the bleeder on the caliper, with an observer up top to tell me when they are almost full. Bleeds the system at the same time!

I like the individual reservoirs because every hose and hose joint that I can eliminate is one more potential leak gone from the system - especially a good thing if you consider MY luck with joints.... :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas!

Paul

Ironflight said:
Funny, I never thought about adding fluid from the top - I always pump brake fluid in from the bleeder on the caliper, with an observer up top to tell me when they are almost full. Bleeds the system at the same time!
As I read my post, I realize I was a little less than clear. I also pump fluid in via the brake bleeder (that's what I meant by "bottom") and the tube and bottle takes the place of the extra set of eyes to tell you when they're full. The only advantage is that this makes it a one man job.

Brakes? what brakes?

So, a little off topic..............but

I'm ordering a 7 emp next month. Someone tell me how common is it to NOT
install brakes on the passenger side?

Lorne
7a t/u 200 iof-360

Of all the airplanes I inspect, I would say that about 95% have brakes installed on the passenger side. Exception is the tandum models where rear seat brakes are extremely rare.
Mel...DAR