Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
This is something that I have been meaning to do for awhile, based on a few requests I have gotten from folks who are interested in how an EFIS looks doing aerobatic maneuvers. Once I realized that I didn't have to hold the camera while I was flying, but could use the recording function on the GRT EFIS, then play it back in the hangar and film it there, it was just a matter of remembering to start the recording on a typical evening flight.

I'm not going to give ANY true aerobatic pilots a run for their money - this is just run of th mill, gentleman's sloppy acro - but you can at least see how an EFIS handles the unusual attitudes. For instance, in a loop, unless you go perfectly through the zenith (the line pointing straight up), what you get is a "roll flip" as you go over the top. The climb and descent rates are fun to watch. And it is also interesting to see how the velocity vector - which shows where the airplane is actually going, not where it is pointed - lags the attitude due to angle of attack.

Sorry for the poor quality - the original is good, but YouTube compresses stuff quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w0blpa9lKQ

Paul

fun stuff.. looks great when watching it in "high def" (click on Watch in high quality just below the video).... keep 'em coming :)