Capflyer

Well Known Member
Glad to see that Doug will be testing out the new ACR PLB.

While I love the features that SPOT offers I've had reservations about it for a few reasons. First and most important is that there is no ability for SAR to track the signal. With the 406 bursts, SAR aircraft can home in directly on the signal. Just flying to a waypoint may not always be the best because there may be no visual way of verifying you are in the correct spot. It also makes it easier for ground teams to home in directly on the signal. Often communications deep in the woods or up in the mountains from a ground team can be spotty so if the gps coordinates are not right there may be no way to verify the location. What happens if your SPOT cannot get a signal out because you are under cover? If a SAR aircraft gets close they'll be able to pick up the 406 beacon that may not be able to make it to the satellite.

Second, the service is expensive at $100/year.

Third, there are no standards on the quality or testing of the SPOT so it is left up to the manufacturer to decide if it is worthy. All COPAS SARSAT beacons must meet rigid standards and be fully tested then approved.

A 406 PLB in combination with APRS is a great way to go.

Many of the CAP planes now have Becker DF units which can not only home in on the signal but also display the signal's coordinates and registration information.

snip...A 406 PLB in combination with APRS is a great way to go....snip

This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2IQrQxmv00 is what got me motivated to go with PLB. Stronger signal in trees, multiple levels of redundancy, etc.

My 9-celled brain logic came to the conclusion that a combination of APRS and my cell phone more than makes up for the 'I'm OK' email feature in SPOT (which sometimes wasn't very fast at getting through). And the PLB is a more battle-hardened and robust technology.

Hope I never have to use it!

A 406 PLB in combination with APRS is a great way to go.

As a combination, yes. But I have absolutely no desire to do what's involved with APRS. For some, APRS has become a hobby within itself. It's just not for me.

In the meantime, while on long cross country flights, at least two of my family members track the flight from home or work using SPOT. SPOT is easy, I simply turn it on, and place on the glare shield. SPOT works; we accidentally set off the 911 button once. SPOT has worked with tree cover, but may not in all cases.

One way or another, you're best off with either having APRS or SPOT for laying that all important breadcrumb trail while in flight. After all, any of these units including the ELT just might not be capable of sending a signal in the aftermath of certain crash situations.

As of now I have SPOT. After being involved in a recent accident in which I couldn't move, as well as a lot of broken bones (not aircraft related), I'll seriously think of getting the new ELT's. That will at least be two forms of backup. I'll just hope that the ELT will self activate. As to my "falling" accident, while laying there for help.......I thought of, what if this was in the mountains & I couldn't even move to help myself? I'd certainly prefer search and rescue as quick as possible.

As I've spent much time at home lately, I've caught up on many episodes of "I shouldn't be alive". For the people portrayed in these episodes, satellite homing devices would have been the closest thing to a miracle. Many of them spent day after day trapped, while their bodies wore away. Of course, with all the latest satellite trackers available now, I'm sure they'd now own one.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

As a combination, yes. But I have absolutely no desire to do what's involved with APRS. For some, APRS has become a hobby within itself. It's just not for me....snip

Good points all. It's pretty close to turnkey right now, though, and I figure I have Sam and Kahuna and the others if I get stuck (when I get stuck).

As to SPOT, the 911 feature works within about 2 minutes. That was demonstrated in a thread on this board by a skeptical (at the time) user, and myself. My wife accidently acitivated ours, by placing her headphones over it. I was quite surprised when the call from SPOT came through.....just as I exited the airplane.
L.Adamson --- RV6A

Great point!

What ultimately sold me on the PLB was the 5 Watt / 406MHz output on the PLB vs 400 milliwatt / 1.6GHz with the SPOT. PLB will more easily transmit through tree canopies (from what I've read).

Last edited:
Good points all. It's pretty close to turnkey right now, though, and I figure I have Sam and Kahuna and the others if I get stuck (when I get stuck).

It just got even more turnkey. Check out the new Byonics tracker:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=54766

IMG_0712.jpg

2 SPOTs for the family

My family has 2 SPOTs that are used when we fly, hunt, travel in our Motorhome, when kids go snowboarding in the backcountry, when the wife is traveling or out late, etc.

I've not had a problem with using the SPOT when in the woods. Although it may miss a crumb or 2, it always leaves enough crumbs to be able to locate us fairly quickly, especially if we are on foot. It works great in the Motorhome and airplane.

I like the fact that I can use it to communicate to the family by simply saying "I'm OK". I don't have to worry about cell coverage, especially when in remote areas while hunting. My wife can ask for "non-emergency" help from me when she has cars problems in areas when there is no cell coverage. I also like the feature "OK Msg" feature in that I can test that the SPOT is able to communicate. I KNOW that it works vs a PLB that will probably only be used once in it's life. There is NO way to test to see that it actually works after years of being carried around or stored.

I have NO faith in ELTs ever activating. The 406 is no better than it's predecessor if it doesn't activate on impact and I'm in the opinion that they rarely do. I don't want my family going through the ordeal of years of searching for my body should I go missing!

I would love to have APRS built in my airplane, cars, and motorhome. Unfortunately I'm way to busy to study for the exam at this point. Maybe in a couple of years. However, even with APRS, I would still have at least 1 SPOT or similar device for other occasions.

Just my 2 cents!

snip...I also like the feature "OK Msg" feature in that I can test that the SPOT is able to communicate. I KNOW that it works vs a PLB that will probably only be used once in it's life. There is NO way to test to see that it actually works after years of being carried around or stored....snip

I thought the same until I did a little research, Kevin. Turns out you can verify the GPS and that your data stream is reaching the satellite cluster.

Some partial screen captures from the PLB admin screen online below (this one showing a history of GPS tests). It also shows how many times you've used the 'I'm OK' feature. One dig is that you only get to do a certain number of these messages (I think 80 with the 406link.com subscription) before the battery has to be changed out (sealed internal unit). This gaurantees that there will be a certain level of power left to send a distress signal and would only be used in areas where there was no cell coverage (i.e. car broken down in mountains). The sticker on the unit says my battery is good until 2016.

359k7xc.jpg

(this one showing your 'I'm OK setup page'...and with the SMS option you can send it as a text message to a cell phone - simply enter the number and the carrier.)
2jga1lh.jpg

Pros and Cons with both systems I guess....and just like the SPOT unit, this PLB requires you survive the impact and press a button (it's not impact activated).

My APRS unit is powered by 12V lighter plug, so it can be moved over to the car and followed online (I might be in the minority here but I rarely if ever am out of cell range, so I'm hoping the APRS coupled with a PLB will give me more features than the out-of-the-box SPOT unit). Stronger signal (PLB) and more returns per minute (APRS). I should probably tape them together <g>.

That's the plan, anyway!

From the 406link.com site:
Check Your Beacon (or Just Check In)
406Link.com lets you confirm that your beacon is working properly while establishing a vital line of communication with friends and family

Testing your beacon function with 406Link.com is very straightforward:
1) Create an account and register your beacon and contact information.
2) When you perform a self test of your beacon, a specially coded signal is transmitted to orbiting SARSAT (Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking) satellites - the same system used in an actual emergency. Your signal is encoded differently so that rescuers don't respond.
3) Once the signal returns to Earth (approx. 1-5 minutes), your message is routed to your cell phone and email address, confirming satellite receipt. If you have the 406Link Plus package, up to 5 contacts you list will also receive your text/email messages.
With one simple action, you've verified that your 406MHz beacon is functioning properly - and that it will be ready when you need it in an emergency. You've also reassured loved ones at home that you are fine.

Last edited:
Doug,

How long does it take to acquire satellites? Just wondering if it would be judicious to push the button on the way down rather than after one is on the ground (and potentially incapacitated).

Any idea on the cost to replace the batteries? - just found this and looks to be a couple hundred bucks to replace the batteries (apparently they have to go back to the factory for replacement)

I didn't find any of this info on the 406link website.

thanks,
greg

Last edited: