kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

So - I blew out the ACL on my left knee and I'm having surgery tomorrow. My doc says about 2 wks till driving (borrowing an automatic from a friend). Then mostly crutch free about one week later.

Of course I won't fly until it is safe, but I'm curious - has anyone here been through this? How long before you could get back into an RV and fly?

Not quite the same thing, but I had a total knee replacement done and I flew cross country 4 weeks later. So much of it depends on the pain tolerance, drugs ingested, how quick you heal, etc. You will need to be off the pain medication and have enough movement in your knee to fly safely. I would think that 4 weeks might be enough but it will depend on the other factors.

I think you are lucky. Things have changed a lot since my was done 28 years ago. I had a 10 inch incission and was in a cast for 8 weeks afterwards. Then, 2-3 months of rehab before I could even bend the leg enough to get in a car.

I have a buddy at work that had this done a few months ago and they did it with microsurgery. I don't think he was ever in a cast and I am pretty sure a few weeks was all it took for him to be moving around pretty well. I can't say if he could push a rudder pedal or not but I was amazed at how little trauma this operation has become. I think he got a cadaver replacement. Mine was just screwed to the bone.

Like someone else said, your doctor knows best, but I think you have a lot less to fear than I did.

Good luck.

Take the drugs;)

I've had both knees acl replaced. The first one I said I'm a man:D I can handle the pain and don't need the pain relief meds. It took me longer to recover vs. the second knee.

I was back flying in the Air Force 6 weeks after the first knee. After the second knee I was back flying I believe 30 days with my commercial job.

The pain meds take off the edge allowing you to do the physical therapy, which helps you recover much faster. Of course follow the Doctors instructions but don't say I can do this without pain meds unless you desire a longer recovery.

Best Regards,

Greg

Get a Letter from you Doc

Don't forget to have your doctor provide you with a letter clearing you to "resume normal activity". This should be given to your AME on your next exam, and for subsequent physicals, you just list "previously reported". For issues related to things like vision, the FAA is a little fussier, and requires a test form (8500-7) to be filled out and submitted before taking to the sky.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

flying return after acl reconstruction

As an orthopedic surgeon I had the opportunity to treat several pilots with
ACL repairs prior to my retirement a few years ago. The replies above have been accurate.
You can expect to return to flying in about six weeks when your treating surgeon clears you for return to normal activities.
When you see your AME he will require a letter from your surgeon stating: the applicant is without symptoms, has completely recovered from surgery, is taking no medication and experiences no functionsl deficit. The EAA and AOPA have sites listing specific language for several chronic more disabling conditions. I could find no such language re:ACL's in these or the FAA's site when I last looked several years ago so this should be accurate. However, checking with your AME prior to your visit could be more accurate. Having everything you need on the first visit can save a lot of hassle as the AME can qualify you on that visit without the need for return.
As a final note of caution: Do not see the AME for an evaluation until you can report normal function and he will find no functional defiency on his exam. He is required to report any abnormalities you report or that he finds once you present yourself for the exam. Such an abnormatiy could lead to a disqualifiction and the FAA's special qualification process is quite prolonged.
Good luck with your surgery and rehab.
Fred

Flying post-ACL surgery

I don't do ACL surgery but I do a ton of knee surgery ie, total knees. What I tell my patients is that you need 0 to 120 degrees of flexion (straight to bent) and normal strength. Your physical therapist will work on both of these and so you need at least grade 4+ muscle strength but preferably grade 5. A good test is climbing and descending stairs one foot after the other. No fair taking a step and bringing the bad knee up from behind.

Physical therapy is critical and your mantra should be "no pain, no gain"

I am assuming you are having the reconstruction done arthroscopically, right?

If you want to contact me via PM that's ok, too.

Bill Near

surgery in general terms affecting license

..sorry, not to hijack, but this is just too topical.....
lots of us aging pilots require surgery.

what do the AME's out there look at?
should I ask my doctor if surgery for tennis elbow will automatically disqualify me?..or should I wait until recovered from surgery, and then see if I 'pass'?
( sounds risky!)

Right now actual 'flying' does not bother my elbow, but pushing the plane around does!
...........any advice?

Good to have a couple of orthopods check in on this. As the beneficiary of ACL surgery done arthroscopically a dozen years or so ago out in Aspen (when the locals here were still cutting stem-to-stern to do repairs), I had a week of recovery (ski accident -- torn left ACL and MCL, torn right MCL ... and, yes, I skied down) and went back to work the next week with braces on both knees. The left one was hooked up to an Igloo cooler full of ice water to keep the swelling down.

It was several weeks before I was really able to function pretty normally and would've been able to fly a plane. Oh, and you will learn pretty quickly to hate your PT. Seriously. :D

Good luck. You will survive.

What do AMEs look for

I can't answer all questions pertinent to disqualifying events but I think in general, they look for incapacitating events ie seizure disorders or cardiac problems that aren't controlled. Vision problems are also emphasized. I think we all know people who have had bypass surgery that are back flying. I think the key is to be proactive. Don't wait for them to ask for documentation, give it too them before they ask. They want to know what you had done and if your health has been well maintained since that time. If you are on good terms with your AME (I know several) you can ask what their opinion is about your medical problems before the paperwork is sent in. I shattered my radial head (that's in the elbow) a few years ago and had to have surgery. The AME doesn't even blink when he sees that.

Those of us in AOPA now have a medical services plan that can help with some of these questions.

as a physical therapist and a pilot

I have treated more ACL recon than I can count but the answer of how long depends on a few things: physical condition, type of graph, co-morbidities (other health issues), attitude, pain tolerance, patience, surgical skill and a few others. Most surgeons require the use of post op protocols with PT extending out upto 12weeks. So... its reasonable to expect week 1-3 little to no weight bearing, week 2-4 hobbling and weak, weeks 4-7 much better with noticeable strength return, week 7-12 returning to near normal. so yea flying in 4 to 6 is reasonable. good luck and work hard.

Hi ya'll,

Thank you for all the great replies (both on list and via PM) - I will take them all to heart. The surgery went well - I'll post more later when not totally loaded up on pain killers.