Don Patrick

Well Known Member
I'm working on the ACK406 tonight and started the 4 pin plug plug for the GPS data input to the 406.

I've sent an email to the folks at ACK technologies but am hoping someone may have encountered this here.

I have a G496 tied into my D180, which provides HSI information and other data to the D180. The G496 must have in the Advanced settings an output of "Aviation In / NMEA & VHF Out" and a baud rate of 9600 in order for the D180 to read the data properly.

Just reviewing the settings required for the 406 and it wants "TIS In / NMEA & VHF out".

Does anyone have a similar setup?

Will the TIS in affect the data going to the 406?

Thanks

Don

Don,
Unless you actually have something going into the 496, the "IN" part doesn't matter. Dynon doesn't care what you have set there as long as the out is NMEA.

Thanks

Great, thanks.

Just don't want to lose the HSI function if I go TSI instead of Aviation.

Cheers

Don

Don - please take a moment to read the CARs. I believe you'll find that, even for Amateur-built aircraft, the connection of a GPS to a 406MHz ELT is considered to be "specialized" work and thus falls under the requirement for the installation to be carried out by an AMO with the appropriate approval level for this work.

Help me out Canadian Joy please

Just reviewed Schedule II, 571.04.

(2) Any avionics system installation or modification is avionics specialized maintenance except for:

(a) installation of ELT systems conforming to CAN-TSO-C91/C91a;

The ACK406 is C91a.

I've also read the exemption in 571.04 and it addresses that the 406 must not be integrated into any other system....is data from the GPS considered a system?

Thanks

Don

(2) Any avionics system installation or modification is avionics specialized maintenance except for:

The ACK406 is C91a.

I've also read the exemption in 571.04 and it addresses that the 406 must not be integrated into any other system....is data from the GPS considered a system?

Thanks

Don

That TSO is for the original 121.5 units.

There are two more TSO's that the ACK unit meets - TSO-C142a and TSO-C126.

Does this help?

http://www.ackavionics.com/pdf/Canada TCCA approval letter.pdf

The ACK406 is C91a.

Thanks

Don

Don - as Gil has pointed out, the 406 ELT's are required to comply with TSO C126, either "a" or "b" variant. In this instance, the ELT complies with TSO C126a and thus the "exception" you've pointed out is not applicable.

Likewise, the connection of the ELT to any external GPS is considered to be "specialized work" and thus is not covered under the exception.

From a "logic" standpoint (not that logic often makes its way into the CARs), Transport Canada wants to ensure that GPS data is properly encoded on the 406MHz signal. This is one of the points of feedback which I provided to the CARAC prior to closure of the comment period on Sept 11th. We have several service providers who are capable of providing remote, over-the-air verification of 406MHz ELT signals. Rather than mandating that an ELT interfaced to a non-IFR GPS be installed by an Approved Maintenance Organisation, I have suggested that VFR GPS connections should be allowed by any homebuilder or appropriately-rated AME, with the proviso that installation sign-off is predicated on a successful end to end over-the-air test. I also suggested that some of the money saved by the uptake of 406's reducing non-emergency SAR scrambles should be spent on developing our own indigenous over-the-air ELT verification system.

Thanks

Thanks for the info folks. It's amazing that one little wire requires a special installation.....

Cheers

Don

Thanks

Thanks for the info folks. It's amazing that one little wire requires a special installation.....

Cheers

Don