prkaye

Well Known Member
I seriously over-torqued the nut holding the power cable on the starter, and sheared the post so it broke off (photo below).
What can I do about this? Do I have to replace the entire starter??

Contact the manufacture of the started, I doubt you are the first to do this, they will probably have a simple fix--------I hope it will be simple.

Tell you what

You send me your OLD broken starter and I will get it out of your sight so you won't feel bad about buying a new one..:)

But seriously..Just call Skytech...The stud will be an off the shelf item that slips in from the back..Worse case you may have to ship them the starter to have a lead spot welded to the stud from the inside..But I bet its a simple replacement you can do yourself.

Frank

Yeah, just spoke to Bart at Aerosport. He's goign to find out if I should send it back through him or else directly to SkyTec. At least this is an easy thing to remove/reinstall on the engine.
It was a 5/16 post so I tried putting 204 in/lbs on it. Should have realized that it is copper, so not made for that. STUPID!!!

Why not take it to the local auto-electric starter/alternator repair shop. They can probably fix it up for you since it is now not under warranty.

My Vote Also!

Why not take it to the local auto-electric starter/alternator repair shop. They can probably fix it up for you since it is now not under warranty.

....and it will probably take them like 2 minutes to fix it, or better yet, just buy the new stud and do it yourself. It is dirt simple to replace. We do a lot of contacts on these at the shop.

Well, turns out SkyTec makes it really easy. I just went on their website and got an RMA number. The repair is 35 bucks. Of course shipping it will be a fair bit more than that, but I think I'd rather have them take it apart than try to do it myself.