Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
You know the feeling when you look at something at it looks a little "off"? Well, my ACK ELT antenna (the old 121.5/243 version) did not look quite right. As I moved closer, I found this:

IMG_20160430_135810%20Large.jpg

Clean cut, like it snapped off from metal fatique. I have over 700 hours on it.

Ordered another one from the fine folks at ACK in California. It is on its way to me. I posted my need to local RV group proposing a swap with someone so I could get up and flying sooner. Kevin Horton gave me his old antenna since he had upgraded previously to the 406 MHz unit. Thanks Kevin. I now have a spare antenna inbound to Canada so I can possibly replace my ELT again in the next 700 hours.

Can't tell you how much I enjoyed crawling through the tailcone (memories....) to effect the replacement.

Anybody else finding broken antennas? By the way, just in case you were wondering, it is hangared. Pretty tough to damage a stainless steel whip.

Vibration over time and just the right fatigue in the metal. Do you also carry an EPIRB? Good pocket size devices that send your lat and long. via 406 if you go down and are able to flip a switch.

Do you also carry an EPIRB?

Yes we do have a PLB. It is a great addition to an ELT, however it does not replace it either functionally or legally (airworthiness). I needed to get our ELT system operational again asap so that we could continue on our flying adventures.

Vibration over time and just the right fatigue in the metal. Do you also carry an EPIRB? Good pocket size devices that send your lat and long. via 406 if you go down and are able to flip a switch.

A local RV-6A pilot reported he lost the metal portion of a bent whip belly antenna, one just like this -

CI122.jpg

It broke just where it exits the base portion.