Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
Good morning all,

I guess this thread is more 'general' than any other category. I recently purchased a 2nd hand wing kit, and a few of the ribs have some light surface corrosion, but nothing that can't be corrected (I think). I have been using a scotchbrite wheel on a dotco, and it works, but it is very time consuming. (a little at the time)

I remember a little about acid etch from college, (A&P classes) but don't remember everything.... What products out there have you all used to remove light scale / corrosion from aluminum?

I saw a product on Spruce from Stewart that appears to be more eco-friendly than some, but does it work as good?

Please help! I want to remove all traces of corrosion before I prep and prime these parts. I will reject and replace the parts that won't 'clean up', but don't want to reject anymore than I need to.

Thanks!

Gregg

Hi Gregg,

I scrub the corrosion off with a scotchbrite pad and then treat it with an Alodine Pen.

Then I cover it with some type of rattle can primer. Typically SEM Self-Etching. I can pick it up at a local auto paint supply house.

If there is a spot that requires too much scrubbing for my arm to handle, I use one of these on a drill. I've got some that are Aluminum Oxide and they make quick work of it. (Then of course I treat it with the alodine pen as before.)

Phil

acid etch

Phil,

Yep, I scrub all the bad stuff off, then hit it with an alodine pen. Just looking for a way to do the same with less effort :D I spent 4 hours yesterday and only cleaned 4 ribs (perfectionist). There has GOT to be a better way... :) I need some good acid etch to 'eat' the bad stuff.

Gregg

It sounds like Alumiprep is what you're asking about.

It will etch the aluminum, but you should still scrub them down with a scotchbrite pad. Then of course you have to treat the part with alodine.

BTW, the Alodine Pen can be accelerated by applying some heat from a heat gun on low settings, hair dryer, or space heater. It's perfectly acceptable to force-dry it with hot air.

Phil