Well Known Member
Does anyone have experience installing/using the Avidyne ACD215 in an RV? The ACD215 is the remote keypad/knob panel for the Entegra suite. I like the idea of having a QWERTY keypad and knobs that can be placed in or near a center console for control of the avionics.

Does any of the other major experimental avionics manufacturers offer a similar unit or allow integration of the ACD215 with their systems? Dynon seems the closest with their remote panels but they seem to lack a QWERTY option.

Maybe by the time I get to the panel on my -10, there'll be something available...

I just this week started flying with an Avidyne remote Bluetooth keyboard that talks to the Avidyne IFD440 I am trying out. Not sure if that is the same keyboard you are taling about - a small, self-contained wireless unit you can put on your kneeboard. So far, it is a curiosity more than a help - the QWERTY stuff works fine, but most of the special function keys are not yet software supported.

I would think that any keyboard is goign to be an integral part of a specific EFIS (or navigator), and none of the experiemntal EFIS's include one right now.

Here is a pic of the ACD215.
Avidyne-FMS-keyboard-0408c.jpg

Here is one installed in an SR22:

big_vvvvvvvv.jpg

Paul, could you comment on the amount of head-down time required to use this? It looks to me like something for a two person crew...

Paul, could you comment on the amount of head-down time required to use this? It looks to me like something for a two person crew...

So far Bob, it is pretty much just like typing on the touch screen QWERTY that comes up when you want to enter a waypoint - or the same thing as twiddling the inner/outer knobs to do the same thing. You have to look at the screen either way when you do any of those (not so much with the knobs of course, once you find them). With the keyboard, you have to look at it AND the screen - so probably a bit more heads down. That's the problem with a "full" keyboard, really - too many keys.

Back in the old heavy glider, we had a hex keyboard with a few function keys, and you could pretty well memorize it once you felt the landmarks - so you only needed to look at the screen, not the keys.

I have a cross-country planned the next two days, and hope to evaluate the Avidyne a little more.

I would think that with practice and a good "home position" the keypad would not require eyes on to operate. Anyone who is decent at touch typing could probably learn to operate it accurately as long as the hand position was comfortable. The overall amount of time spent entering data should be less with the keypad than with the dials (or at least would be for me, I think). I think it would be a tool to minimize time spent head down or away from the instrument scan.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing your first hand experience, Paul.

Last edited: