pilotjt

I accidentally countersunk the outward 4 holes on the rear spar web. This is where the doubler plate goes in place and the 4 holes on it get countersunk. Is there a fix for this or is it no biggie? I have not primed the pieces yet. Do you guys think I could spray primer a little heavier in the Spar CS holes and just rivet the doubler plate over it with no worries? Thanks for the advice. :(

Last edited:
Dimple the doubler plate and see how it looks. If the rivets set flush, then your good to go. You can even take your debur tool and give the dimples in the doubler a touch of cleanup after the dimple to make them fit better. If you have already countersunk the doubler plate, I would not rivet it on over the other countersunk holes because there will be nothing to backup the holes.

Last edited:
Rivet Head Washers?

Brantel said:
Dimple the doubler plate and see how it looks. If the rivets set flush, then your good to go. You can even take your debur tool and give the dimples in the doubler a touch of cleanup after the dimple to make them fit better. If you have already countersunk the doubler plate, I would not rivet it on over the other countersunk holes because there will be nothing to backup the holes.

Have you seen these (link to tech sheet)

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/CSK-repair_washers.pdf

These are used just for that purpose.

I think the dimpling idea may work just as well, but sometimes you may be in a position that these little babies are just the ticket.

(link to Webstore location)

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.co...s -> Rivets&menuID=141~142~142~143~143&id=147

If this doesn't help you today, it will help somebody in the future.

Best wishes...........

Wow! That is a great fix. I'll be placing an order soon. You guys are amazing! Thank you

I've now discovered this fix comes with a price. Minimum order of 50 at a total $85.00. Any other ideas?

Order a new doubler for a few bucks and dimple it.

Or, thinking outside the box, fill the countersinks in the spar with JB weld or similar, smooth and then redrill the holes. The idea being to give the rivet the support it needs.

This area must be nice and flush otherwise your aileron bracket wont sit square and cause problems.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I just returned from the store with some Liquid Metal Filler from Loctite. It says it will bond to Aluminum and is sandable and paintable. If the holes were any larger I would just order a new plate, but I think this Filler will work fine. :)

More rivet head yakkin.

pilotjt said:
I've now discovered this fix comes with a price. Minimum order of 50 at a total $85.00. Any other ideas?

What size countersink were we talking about?

The one for ms20426AD4 heads are $75.00 per hundred.
If you were ordering them with other items the price could go as low as $52.51 per 100

You can make a few of your own on a lathe by just drilling off the heads of some longer rivets with the right size drill. Don't forget to take corrosion preventative measures on the inside of your new creation or it can become a corrosion pocket between structures. The factory made ones are treated all over and would be less of a corrosion issue. Discard any that don't look just very clean and perfectly centered.

These are great when you really need them, we usually sell them to structure shops doing larger overlay repairs where there are countersunk leftover holes underneath and new rivets going straight through the whole enchilada.

mmm, that word make me hungry?

Thanks Tom. I appreciate all of your suggestions and will keep your company in mind when I need some hardware.

Look forward to hearing from you.

pilotjt said:
Thanks Tom. I appreciate all of your suggestions and will keep your company in mind when I need some hardware.

Let us know, Webstore, fax or Phone, we are here to help.

Best wishes with towards you and your project..............

Which Washer?

Tom,

Is the correct washer model number LS5931A71 for AN426D4 rivets?

I ran into the same problem while countersinking and I am considering this option. I just wanted to be sure I have the right one.

Thanks,

John Edwards
RV-9A - Empennage