RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am really hoping someone can tell me this works, as I want to hang the engine today, just must do it today. OK I guess not but that was the goal. You can see the shot of the plans that has the AN823 45 elbow at the lower port that is between the two mags and this goes to the cooler, the upper port gets a straight nipple. Well I realized that I need a 45 for the upper one because coming straight out will not work with the 90 oil filter adapter.

I want to use the straight nipple for the lower and the 45 for the upper. I don't know exactly what level the lower port on the oil cooler is so I can't make a call as to if this will work. If you look at the picture you can see the line with the 45 fitting at the back of the case, coming straight out and then looping to where I think the lower cooler fitting sit might work. Of course it is easier to make this change now with the engine off.

I am hoping someone can tell me hey used the straight nipple on the lower port of the accessory case. My prop cable bracket sits on the face of the governor and looks like the oil line will stay above it. If I can get a "yes this worked" for you answer soon I might actually get the engine on this weekend, or at least in a day or two.

Yellow highlight line points to the two fittings I want to swap.

dfv906.jpg

This is taken looking level at the lower oil line port, Oil line is attached to the 45 nipple. Looks like it will not conflict!

1z3vvqx.jpg

I wound up using straight fittings at both inlet and outlet. Because of where my cooler wound up on the baffling, the FWF kit hoses didn't work out, so I had new ones made, including a 45 on the engine end of the feed hose (actually, both of them in my case, since it made routing easier). The nice thing about having the 45 on the hose is it's easier fine-tune the position. The bad thing is you need to buy a hose to get it.

I was just looking at my -8 to refresh my memory to do the -3, and I used the 45 on the upper, straight on the lower, and stock Van's hoses to the baffle-locad oil cooler. Has worked well for 1300 hours.

Paul

Sweet

I was almost ready to commit to the swap when I read the last few posts, it is nice to know this will work. I was going to do it thinking worse case I would have a hose made with the sweep 45 to attach to the straight nipple.

The swap happens today and by night fall my engine should be on the plane, Yee Ha!

Mike, for what it's worth, I installed those fittings with the engine on the airplane. Mine is a 7, but I doubt the 8 is much different. I waited till the cooler was on the baffling, then installed the fittings hand tight and started messing with hose routing, in part because that's a topic about which I tend to get a bit (ok, a lot) OCD. Of course in the end it cost me a bunch of money because I bought new hoses, but even if I hadn't, it still made figuring out the optimal routing much easier.