humptybump

Well Known Member
I recently had to detach the aileron push rod from the aileron as part of the preparation for finally getting my RV-8 painted. I had to kludge up a temporary "flat wrench" to get to one end of the fastening bolt.

I don't have a good picture but Mickey's RV8 Site does ...

20040924215600851_4.JPG

AS you can see in the picture, there is enough space to get a wrench on one end but not the other.

I have it apart now but am anticipating it will be a PITA to put back in.

Suggestions, hints, and tips are greatly appreciated !

Hi Glen,

If I remember correctly I believe that if you detach the pushrod from the bellcrank the aileron will rotate sufficiently enough past the flap to provide additional access to the rod end bearing. Still a PIA but easier than trying to torque the bolt when the aileron is in the neutral position.

I used masking tape to hold the nut in the wrench, used my knee to lift the aileron until there bolt was free to turn, and ....I forget the rest, but it did go together. :eek:

Scott,

I did about the same thing - actually I used a grinder and made custom "wrench" but otherwise I was probalby the picture image of your "posture" :D

I hope to find a better solution when the paining is done and I am doping the re-assembly. I'll take a look at disconnecting the pushrod from the other end.

In the meantime, I am making a more permanent "customer wrench". I'm also investing in a nice set of ratcheting wrenches. They will help here as well as for reattaching the elevators and rudder.

I just keep thinking there much be some trick I'm not seeing.

It can be done

I have used tweezers to install the washer and a long 3/8"box end wrench with duct tape to hold the nut in the wrench. Manipulate the wrench and nut from underneath and from the front. Turn the bolt with another 3/8" wrench to start the nut. It is tedious, but can be done.

Dan Miller
RV-8 1100 plus hours of fun.

Warren,

it would probably be easier with the flaps completely off but in his case, they are "hanging". The painter has his shop setup specifically to paint most aircraft with the flaps and ailerons hinged but disconnected from their control points. It's a pretty common practice for shops which do a lot of refinishing of flying aircraft.

Clearly their are pros and cons to different painting solutions and this is the one I am working with.

Dan, I'll toss a set of tweezers in the tool bag (I already have two different forceps).

I'm also using a trick from the builder - anyplace there are multiple washers stacked, he glued them together.

Ailerton push tube nut

Actually a pair of needle nose pliers can also be used to hold the nut as you turn the bolt to get it started. Then a wrench can be inserted to hold the nut. It might take several tries with needle nose as the nut tends to sometimes twist if not tightly gripped with pliers and fall out.