tomhanaway

Well Known Member
I did a search but couldn't find I was looking for.

What have VAFer's done to create an tire valve access point for main wheels? I tried the 3/4inch snap-in caps that electrical boxes use but was not happy with how loose it was in the wheel fairing (the depth of the prongs allowed too much movement in and out of the fairing.

I seem to remember that some have used a spring loaded opening (similar to seen on oil fill covers).

Any suggestions, guidance to threads --and PICTURES :^) appreciated.

You can "smash"down the tongs and get a better fit. There are also a variety of plugs available from most well supplied hardware stores.
However, I am a big fan of Air Stop tubes. You only need to check the air every few months by pulling off the front half of the wheel pant. This also allows you to get a peek at your brakes, lines, mounts, etc.... to insure everything is doing well under there.
No need to access holes.

A really good RV flyer and A&P once told me to make an opportunity out of the event by taking off the wheel pants and check everything. How long does it really take to remove the wheel pants anyway? 5-10 minutes.
I listened to his advise which is always sound.

Thanks all.

Reilly, that's the piece I was looking for. I do have the air stop tubes. However, one main is still losing about 7 lbs. per month. No apparent leak at valve.

I was over in Bahamas and it would have been very nice to do a quick check of tire that looked a little soft.

Generally agree with taking fairing off but sometimes I want the option of "quick and dirty".

Of course, I will probably replace that particular tube (only eight months old) while building the access port.

Tom

I cut a couple of shim ring and epoxied them to the inside of the wheel fairings to tighten the loose snap-in caps.

A really good RV flyer and A&P once told me to make an opportunity out of the event by taking off the wheel pants and check everything. How long does it really take to remove the wheel pants anyway? 5-10 minutes.

I have the same philosophy, but 5-10 minutes? I must be really slow :)

-Rob

This mornings chore

I second this statement. Took me about 20 minutes this morning (I have the wheel/leg fairings attached with screws and nutplates). I was able to visually check the brake pads, wheels security, and look for anything hazardous to flight. This probably took about 10 minutes longer than if I had holes thru the wheel pants. However, the peace of mind is worth it.

Tires were down 3-4 lbs after approx. 2 months and 45 hours of flight. I use 35lbs. Don't have the take offs and landings data.

Thank you Desser Monster Retreads and Michelin Air Stop tubes..... (expensive but well worth it. I used to have to fill the Van's stock tubes every week)

I tried the 3/4 inch hole plugs sold here but the hole in the wheelpant was not large enough for me to inflate the tire. I since cut a 1 1/4" hole in the pant and used a stainless steel whole plug from Lowe's. Works great!

John Morgan:)

Flapper door

This is what I used. It is a spring loaded flapper door that has a flange so that it mounts almost flush with the outside of the wheel pant with two rivets so that it is not noticeable at all. I would remove the valve cap with a piece of plastic tubing then use an extension to fill the tire. It worked well and took little time.

It was a long long time ago but I must have bought it from Avery's or Cleveland.

It hasn't been used in quite a few years; ever since I got the good tubes. I now fill the tires about once a year.

DSC01023.jpg

This is what I used. It is a spring loaded flapper door that has a flange so that it mounts almost flush with the outside of the wheel pant with two rivets so that it is not noticeable at all. I would remove the valve cap with a piece of plastic tubing then use an extension to fill the tire. It worked well and took little time.

My RV-6 was built with similar flapper doors on the wheelpants. I also have an air extension to thread over the valve stem thru the flapper door, and it worked OK for me one time, but the second time I used the extension, it cross-threaded onto the valve stem and I've not been able to get it to seal anymore, so I just pull the front half of the wheelpant off. That takes about the same amount of time as fiddling around with trying to get the extension threaded on. It may have seemed like an elegant solution when the plane was being built, but in all reality, just pulling the few screws and the front half of the wheelpant off to air up the tire is more straightforward.

I will install LeakGuard inner tubes at the first opportunity when I need to remove the tires.

No plugs in mine

I put the 3/4" holes in my wheelpants as did others, but didnt bother with the plugs. Not a real drag penalty, and not as pretty. I dont even notice anymore. Use a paint marker, and when the valve stem is aligned with the hole, draw a little hash mark on the tire that is like a continuance of the split seam on the wheel pant.Then, when you need to air up, just push or pull it until the mark is aligned. I have a cheap air blow-off/airchuck combo that pushes straight in to the stem and walla..60 seconds per wheel. I set my compressor to about 30 PSI so as not to overinflate..never have used a guage.