I would advise that you purchase a full set of plans of the Rv12. They will be an invaluable owner resource. You can download many of the sections for free on Vans website because whenever they revise a page of the plans they post a PDF of the revised page(s) on the website.

The Garmin radio comes with a tool for its slide-in-slide-out removal and that is described in the radio's manual. The Skyview display box can be removed from the front, there is slack in its connecting cables designed for that purpose.

The entire cover panel over the radios is removable via the screws. You do not have to remove the canopy to take out all those screws. That provides full access into the instrument bay. Any of the RV12 construction blogs will have pictures of that. I recommend Tony T's picture set here http://www.tonytessitore.smugmug.com And Dave G's excellent full construction blog at www.schmetterlingaviation.com

Much of this is also covered in the RV12 Maintenance Manual which is also an available download.

Some have reported an intermittent function of the directly wired USB port above your knee. So if you do take off the cover, it is not a bad idea to run a USB extension cable from one of the available ports on the back of the Skyview over into your glove compartment box, so you can open the door and plug in a USB drive there. That is also a better solution for leaving one in all the time for taking screenshots, downloading log files after a flight, or for the Seattle charts. One placed in the socket above your knee could easily be broken.

Last edited:
Since your plane is an SLSA I would be a little careful about messing around mechanically with it by yourself. You may void your warranty. If the screws on your glare shield are painted in place then removal will most likely mess up the paint job if you are not carful. A good avionics tech will know how or be able to call Dynon for a installation manual and access the back of you radios. The installation manual on the Skyview would be posted on the Dynon website for a free down load.:rolleyes: The best way to remove the radios as Bill suggested is from the front.

Ideally for the best access you would remove the avionics bay skin, but as I discovered on my SLSA the skin is not removable by reasonable means. I believe when they sealed that skin for waterproofing they were too effective, or at least did not adequately insure that it would be removable. Maybe they did a better job on yours?

This was encountered with a avionics problem requiring extensive work behind the panel. Fortunately the Skyview unit leaves a fairly large window into the avionics bay when removed and the work was ultimately done through that opening. I don't think that will provide adequate access to the knob panels and radio tray.

Good luck
Lee

From some pics, at least some of the SLSAs are coming with panels not painted but covered in the carbon-fiber-look vinyl. Good stuff. You should have washers under the screws in that panel. Plastic, or stainless for a different look.