plaurence

has anyone placed access panels in the forward top skin to access the avionics in there Rvs? If so, have you found it useful?

Very useful.

I would recommend.

I hate crawling in the cockpit to do misc work.
Pull of the panels and get after it.

Yes and absolutely yes. I have one 9 x 9 panel on each side of center. There are some discussions of this in the archives - I believe Checkoway did it early on.

greg

yes it is worth it

I debated with myself for a considerable amount of time (several weeks) before I installed my windshield. I went back and forth with pros and cons for and against. I finally decided to go for it. Man am I glad I did! Within just a week or two after the first flight I needed to get into the back of the instrument panel to get to some connections that needed changing. With all of the new electronics, AHRS, VP POWER, etc., the need to easily access many items that can only be mounted behind the instrument panel is a very important consideration. The access plates are really a necessity in my book. I have two of them on either side of the center rib that measure 12 x 6.

Another option...

...is to attach your instrument panel with Dzus fasteners at the top edge and let it hinge toward you. My Air Tractor comes built this way from the factory.

I have a three piece modular panel in the -10 but they used screws to hold them in place, so I plan on replacing them with camloks later on.

Keeping exterior panels from leaking in the rain is a concern.

Best,

I made some pro-seal gaskets for my access panels and have never had an issue with water. But, I do live in a desert!

greg

Usefulness all depends...

If you are using reasonably large EFIS displays, those are easy to remove and the holes in the panel from these by themselves provide decent access to most stuff

Similarly, if you have a modular panel, that eases avionics access considerably.

I installed the access panels, and am not really sorry, but with a dual-display EFIS and modular panel, I havent really needed them for avionics access. They have come in handy for reaching down to the brake lines and rudder pedals a few times however. Not the use I had anticipated....

erich

If you look back through the archives, you should find anecdotal evidence that Vans doesn't like to see panels cut in this particular skin. Can't corroborate that, personally, but I also come down in the camp of (at least in my panel) they really wouldn't serve much purpose. YMMV. In any case, I'd check with Vans myself if I were thinking about doing it, even if many people have done it before.

Last edited:
If you look back through the archives, you should find anecdotal evidence that Vans doesn't like to see panels cut in this particular skin.

I talked with one of the fellows at Vans about this issue and they said their reason for not doing it was that they were worried about water leaking in the panels.

I put panels in my 9A and have been very glad that I did. Used ProSeal to make gaskets and they don't leak.