whd721

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a good tip on how to cut and fit an access hole and matched cover in the middle of a sheet of Al?

I can hack holes, but to achieve a good looking fit? Correct tool or tools?

I would start with the parts that Vans sells.

Locate where you want the panel, and drill a couple of holes to hold the cover in place with clecos, then draw around the cover. You will use the cover as a drill guide.

I like to use a unibit to get the corner radius then a cut off wheel to do the straight lines. Cut a bit undersize, and file to fit the new cover.

Now you use the cover to locate the nut plate/reinforcement ring.

Drill, deburr, dimple, rivet.

Really fairly simple if you use the pre punched parts.

Thanks Guys,

I like the Unibit corners idea.

I will have Vans shear four pieces for two covers and two reinforcement rings, that takes care of square plates.

Greg thanks for your site. I am doing my EMP fairings at the same time , Good photos.
I also discovered that I had missing nut plates on the lower Hor Stab. Off they come again. and again, and again!

If it doesn't have to be very large, Van's has a doubler (VA-195C) and cover (VA-196D) avialiable from their Web Store. It's approx. 4" x 4" and is normally used to close out the stall warning access hole on (at least) the RV-7.

I fabricated the access holes and covers this manner. The doubler plate was riveted with sealant and primed previously.

DSC01145.JPG

DSC01146.JPG

DSC01147.JPG

DSC01148.JPG

DSC01219.JPG

Last edited:
Alexander,

Thats what I am talking about. I take two please!

How did you manage the excellent Panel radiuses?

Why did you install them in the outside bays instead of the center two? It was not clear in the photos, but the access panels are also curved down toward the side of the fuselage. Correct?

Impressive work.

I am in the same phase of RV9A construction, thinking about installing the access panels for EMP and ignition modules. Opinions?

How did you manage the excellent Panel radiuses?
The best way to achive it is to cut the holes on a flat bench before riveting the skin sheet to your plane. Thus, you'll get the access to almost all places underneath the sheet for easier riveting. I used a good number of tools like drill, mill, file, sand paper and patience.

Why did you install them in the outside bays instead of the center two?
There are the most convenient places to get access to wiring harness and other stuff inside of my RV.

It was not clear in the photos, but the access panels are also curved down toward the side of the fuselage. Correct?
Yes, I bent it just by hands. After you screw the covers down to its places they'll get the final shape.

This work took me less a day and has been saving a lot of time by now.

Last edited:
Access Below NACA Vent

Hey Kahuna,
What is the purpose of the one in the fuse below the NACA vent? Access to brake MC's maybe? If so, what size is it? Would you make it bigger/smaller next time?
I like all of'em--yours and the Moscow fellows!

Similar set up here.
access2_small.jpg

High res photos here.

Thanks for the hosts. I now know exactly what to do ( except for the craftsman ship part).

I will post photos when done.

Bill