Stormer

Has anybody put an access panel on the glareshield of a RV6 or 7?
We are about to rivet on the top panel over the instruments and get ready for the windshield install, but....what if we need to, for example, pull out our EFIS instrument for maintenance or whatever. I think it would be virtually impossible to do that from underneath. It is jammed packed under there.
We were thinking of cutting out a section on the top and then have it fastened down with Zues fasteners or something similar.
Has this been done?
Thanks,
Steve
:D

I have two access plates aprox 11" x 8" directly in front of the windshield on my 9A. I am glad I did it but I had some water get in at the SnF tornado last year. I have since resealed the plates and have not had any issues. I have sealed the plates with Flamemaster tank sealant so I think it should be good for water infiltration now but I have no experience in the rain at this point to give first hand experience as to whether my seal job is working.

I am glad I did it as those two plates are the only way I have to get behind the subpanel where I have AHRS, VP power supply, ground block, backup batter, etc.

Keep in mind that several people have done this mod, but it is NOT approved by Van's Aircraft.

Mel,
Do you think the reason Van's hasn't approved this is concern for structural strength of the fuselage in this area?

I have not seen it done with Dzus fasteners. All of the access panels like you describe I've seen are done with screws, dimpled skin and nutplates.

YMMV, I am not an engineer, caveats apply, etc...

Personally, I would avoid this mod if I was building a slider. But, access to behind the panel was one reason for me getting the tip-up instead.

I have a RV-9A slider and I added the access panels. Even though I have 2 AFS 4500s that are tray mounted and easily removal to get behind the panel, these access panels allow quick access to the back of the avionics stack.

I'm using nutplates and flush screws. With a doubler and screws, I can't imagine it has weaken the structure.

Steve,

I put 6 of them on my 7 tip up.
I used the RV-10 Stall warning plate and back plate.
Someone will have the number.
Its in the vans catalog.

Nutplates and screws.
Makes life easier and it is negative pressure on the top.

MY .05

I'm guessing you have a slider. When you say glare shield, do you mean the part aft of the windshield in the cabin? I think most of the replies so far have been talking about the fuselage forward of the windshield. If you're talking about aft of the windshield, you may not have enough vertical clearance between the glare shield and windshield to remove an EFIS even if you do put in an access panel.

I presume your EFIS is mounted from the rear and your panel is already done?

If you haven't finalized your panel yet, you may want to make it so the EFIS can be removed from the front. (GRT's are designed that way, which makes them very easy to remove.)

I had this issue with my MVP-50 engine monitor. I had the panel done, with the MVP-50 mounting from the rear. My brother, very wisely, advised me to modify the panel so I remove it from the front. I am VERY glad I made the mod, even though it was depressing cutting up my finished panel after it was installed.

I've had the MVP-50 out on many occasions and it only takes less then 5 minutes to remove. Had I left it as mounting from the rear, removing it very, very difficult.

I asked Vans and here is what they said:

They were afraid that folks would have trouble sealing the openings well enough. They weren't worried about structural issues.

I put them in, and I do have a bit of a leak in the rain, but it could be from the tip up instead of the access plates.

It's a slider, RV6

Yes, it is a slider, the panel was already done when we took over the build but then we added a flush mounted Dynon 10A long with the remote compass and heated pitot/AOA. If we rivet the top panel on it would be extremely difficult or impossible to remove it or even hook it up. The wings have not been installed yet and all the wires are hanging out of the wing root. Maybe we should look at making it removable from the front, but then it would stick out.
Steve:D