Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I looked but didn't find anything about an access door in the wheel fairings for routine pressure checks of the tires.

With all the discussion about tire pressure on the nose wheel to prevent an accident, I began thinking that I would like to have an easy way to check pressures on all tires without pulling the the wheel pants off. Down side is you don't visually inspect the assembly each time but easy pressure check would be the upside.

Since I'm close to finishing the wheel fairings, now is the time.

I had 2 thoughts.

#1 - It would be very easy to cut a small door, hinge and back frame it for support with a latch / camlock fastner / placenut & screw.

#2 - Cut a 1" hole like the one used in the front fairing for the tow bar that would allow you to put a gauge/filler on the stem. Faster and easier than option #1 but tight quarters to get the valve stem screw top on/off.

Good ideal - bad ideal? Has anybody done either?

Or....

I didn't go with the access holes because I was to lazy to figure out where they would go. It takes me about 30 seconds to get the front half of the wheel pant off - about as much time as I used to spend hunting for the tire valve through the holes on my old Grumman. Using Michelin Air Stops, I only have to check/add air about once every three months or so, and I generally find that I have the front halves off to check tire or brake wear in that time anyway.

It is certainly not as trick as having access doors/holes, but I haven't found that I miss them.

Paul

Tire and brake inspection...

...is just as important as tire pressure. A couple of minutes spent once a month can avoid a lot of problems.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I looked but didn't find anything about an access door in the wheel fairings for routine pressure checks of the tires......
I installed flush mounted spring loaded Camloc type wheel pant access covers. They are very easy to install using two AD4 rivets and a retrofit can be done anytime. The photo in the link shows INSIDE detail of a cover.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/accessdoors.php

Check around for competitive pricing. A few years ago, I bought a number of them as "new surplus" from a vendor at the AirVenture Flymart for $5 each.

No access doors

Using Michelin Air Stops, I only have to check/add air about once every three months or so

Maybe I'm just extremely lucky, but I've been flying since last September and in 70 hours I've never had to add any air. They've dropped maybe 1-2 psi in 10 months. I'm using whatever tires/tubes Vans supplied with the kit.

I put the 1" hole where the valve is in the "six o:clock" down position. I marked the tire with a red line to find it easy. Also use a valve extention I bought from NAPA.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

It does help and you did a better job at finding than I did. The Camloc spring door is now 22.75 at Aircraftspruce. Wicks is currently 10.50.

Thanks to all for the info.

Too late on the Michellin tubes unless it's what Vans supplies now. That would be the NEXT (and first) tire/tube change.

When locating the access door, where are people putting it? On the 7a with the new style nose wheel brackets, 6:00 puts it in the bracket.

I put my access door directly aft of - and in line with - the access hole for the 1/4" bolt for the rear wheelpant. I used another of those stainless snap-in covers to plug the hole . I'm happy with both the practicality and appearance.

I used the 3 o'clock position on the nose gear. I had to trim a bit off the wheel pant bracket to allow for the access door to swing open.
IMG_4517-M.jpg

IMG_4516-M.jpg

Access doors on the mains are aft of the bracket.
IMG_4519-M.jpg

Agree with Paul and others that it's better to pull a wheel pant and check everything but if you insist (;)) here's the setup on a show plane I saw: