Gash

Well Known Member
I am filling out my AC Form 8050-88 "Affidavit for Ownership of Amateur-Built and Other Non-Type Certificated Aircraft." I need to choose between two check boxes, either that greater than 50% of the aircraft was built from "miscellaneous parts" or from "a kit (prefabricated parts)."

I bought my RV-8 as a partially completed kit--I am the third owner of the parts. Some major components were missing, so I ordered them from various non-Vans vendors. I think I could reasonably say that more than 50% of the airplane is from "miscellaneous parts."

Question: Is there any advantage to checking the box stating that the airplane was built from miscellaneous parts, rather than from a kit? If so, can I legitimately make this selection on the form? What has been the experience of other RV owners in a similar situation?

Thanks for the help!

I am filling out my AC Form 8050-88 "Affidavit for Ownership of Amateur-Built and Other Non-Type Certificated Aircraft." I need to choose between two check boxes, either that greater than 50% of the aircraft was built from "miscellaneous parts" or from "a kit (prefabricated parts)."

I bought my RV-8 as a partially completed kit--I am the third owner of the parts. Some major components were missing, so I ordered them from various non-Vans vendors. I think I could reasonably say that more than 50% of the airplane is from "miscellaneous parts."

Question: Is there any advantage to checking the box stating that the airplane was built from miscellaneous parts, rather than from a kit? If so, can I legitimately make this selection on the form? What has been the experience of other RV owners in a similar situation?

Thanks for the help!

DO NOT check miscellaneous parts.

Sounds like the aircraft was built from a kit.

YOU do not have to do 51% of the work but 51% of the work must be done by amateurs for education and or recreation. Buying a 2nd hand kit means that it is a kit and that some other amateur did some of the 51%.

Alright got it. Thanks. I guess the only reason somebody would check the "from miscellaneous parts" box is if there was a problem tracking down the bill of sale (thankfully, not a problem I have). I appreciate the response.