twisted-wrench

Yesterday, after badgering the North Texas FSDO and my DAR for months, I got approved for use of Advisory Circular 90-116.

It is not simple but not hard. The process for amending your Operating limitations is described for the FAA and your DAR in the FAA Order 8130.2 and on Page 17, Para 15b of the AC .

The FAA or your DAR will amend your Operating Limitations Para 10 with the approved text for EX-AB. They will also issue a new Airworthiness Certificate with a new date with an A to indicate amended.

You turn in your old Airworthiness Certificate and get the new one. You turn in your old Operating Limitations and get your new one. AW certificate and Ops Limits go in their appropriate places in the aircraft and you are now good to go.

Now if you want an additional pilot in the aircraft during Phase 1, it is up to you to comply with the Advisory Circular. If you want someone with you during the first 8 hours, there are huge hurdles to jump finding someone who will qualify as a (QP) Qualified Pilot. After 8 hours, the big hurdles go away.

I've got 20 of my 40 hour Phase 1 flown already so I'm hoping this hassle will have been worth it.

You builders who do not have your AW cert yet will get this text in your original Ops Limits though you will have to make sure your DAR or FAA inspector actually puts the proper text in.

E-LSA is slightly different so check out the material for those. I did not.

Like everything else, YMMV.

I called the Milwaukee FSDO and the person that issued my original Ops Lims had the paperwork processed and in my hands in a few days. She was happy to help.