java

Well Known Member
I'm just about done with inventory, and am going to get going on my RV-7 fuse. I thought I'd check the common wisdom of VAF to learn from those who have gone before me. Anyone have tips or tricks to share that one wouldn't normally see in the drawings/manual, specific to a QB?

Things like:
"I wish I would have drilled out those 15 rivets and replaced with nutplates & screws for future access," or...
"Even though the manual says do things in X order, because I was starting from the QB stage it would have been easier doing Y first."

Thanks in advance.

Fuse thoughts

Get a stand that swivels to hold the fuselage. I built one and it has been invaluable. I can rotate the fuse to any angle to work on it. Get your MD-RA paperwork in order so that you will be able to call for a precover inspection as soon as you are ready. There is a point where you can go no further or risk having to open up stuff that was already riveted for inspection. I got to that point and then started jumping around making small parts and doing what I could while waiting for the inspector. Read the entire manual as if you were building from scratch and check that everything was done. Measure twice, cut once. If you are ever in the Ottawa area, drop by and I'll show you my 7A.

Andrew Phillips

Convert the crate in which the wings were shipped to a scaffold. Slide it under the fuselage and it makes it much easier to access the interior once up on gear. I nailed a couple of cross-members in order to stiffen the surface.

look before you leap

The order and sequencing does have a profound effect on whether or not you have to "do and undo and redo" stuff as you go. Specially when you start mounting the tail.. Look over the plans with a magnifying glass, and read the text over numeroust times. Be careful not to confuse what you are required to do with what has already been done with the QB. Try and think ahead to what comes next.. Thats all I know.. :D