saldarro

We are about to start building an RV-14A in LA.
We already took the EAA Sheet Metal Basics Workshop and are clearing our garage to start with the empennage.
We are wondering what kind of workbench, compressor and initial tools to purchase.
Please provide any recommendations you might have.

Thank You!

Just starting too

I am just starting too but on a 9.
I bought a home depot 29 gal compressor and it is working out fine. If i am riveting it only comes on every few hours. Doesn t leak and comes ready to go. Truly plug and play ; except i modified the drain with a needle valve.

I would stay away from harbor frieght tools except for the simple hand tools. Cleveland and browns tools i found are good. Standard eaa work bench. See my blog. Good luck.

The exception to the harbor freight tools for me is this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-buffer-94393.html

I use Scotchbrite wheel on both sides - easy to use on a stand. I started with a regular bench grinder but the longer mandrels on this one, and open access to the wheel make it more functional.

I agree. This is the perfect tool for scotchbrite wheels.

I actually have bought quite a few tools from HF over the years, but I am very selective.

We currently use one of their mechanics creepers in our shop (about 1 year old at this point) because no one else makes one like it. Holding up well so far even though the customer reviews were not stellar.

Welcome to VAF!

Oscar,
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF

We already took the EAA Sheet Metal Basics Workshop and are clearing our garage to start with the empennage.
We are wondering what kind of workbench, compressor and initial tools to purchase.

Thank You!

A BIG hammer for the piggy bank :D one tool I wish I had from the beginning is my band saw, its a Grizzly 555 bought it mid build, The 7a had a lot of little pieces that were needed to be fabricated from raw stock, the 14 may not need as much of this? Welcome to VAF!

I have found this tool from Harbor Freight to be very useful, and it is very well made:

http://t.harborfreight.com/power-to...direct-drive-bench-top-disc-sander-43468.html

Get good air tools - drill(s), 2x and/or 3x Rivet guns, because you will use them constantly. Some folks swear by a pneumatic rivet squeezer, although I have found I can squeeze almost everything quite well and quickly with a Cleaveland Main Squeeze. It is good to have access to a buddy with a pneumatic squeezer for a few really long rivets. :D. Also, a drill press is almost a necessity.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I bought my RV tool kit from Cleaveland and can not say enough great things about them! Outstanding customer service! And Mike has numerous videos on YouTube (search for Cleaveland tool) with tips and techniques for how to use these tools. I found them very helpful, especially as a beginner.

Also, I almost went with the main squeeze, but a friend talked me into upgrading to a pneumatic squeezer. I am so glad I did! That was very good advice, although to be fair I have never used the main squeeze.

As for HF, I bought:

Die grinder
Drill press
Band saw
HVLP gun (for priming)
Nitrile gloves.

All work just fine for the money.

Last edited:

Thank You!

Where will you be building? I have a nice work bench I'm willing to donate if you are close to LGB.

-Marc

I'm about 2/3rd's of the way through the "tin work" on my 14A and I personally would recommend passing on the pneumatic squeezer and put the money towards extra yokes. I had a pneumatic squeezer from Avery and sold it here a few months back as I found it to be more bother to set up than time saved. I really like the manual control of the Cleaveland main squeezer.

Cleaveland dies are excellent quality and well worth the money. Get yourself a second set of economy dies from the Yard Store or ATS that you can grind for those "interesting" rivets that you bump into.

I bought a "Sears" professional 27 Gal compressor at one of their sales and it has been good to date. Got it for $249! Never had an issue of running out of air and it uses a 110V 20A circuit. Use it for air tools and spraying primer.

Other misc tools that I've found handy (mainly from Cleaveland tools):

- both std and 12" back rivet set
-12" double offset back rivet set
- Back rivet bucking bar
- both edge forming and edge rolling tools
- tungsten bucking bar (soooo nice!)
- std and cheapo Countersinks cages (so you can modify)
-close quarters rivet pulling wedge

For my workbench, basically 2 EAA table on casters. I added a shelf 8" below top to store skins so they won't get damaged.

I try to add a tool or two every month that helps with the phase of build I'm working on and it's worked quite well. Also watch for used stuff for sale here on VAF. Lots of deals if you watch and wait! Don't forget the occasional set of flowers for the Missus .... really helps when the Visa bill shows up!

Good luck with your build. It a great experience!!!

Jim

Last edited:
I had a pneumatic squeezer from Avery and sold it here a few months back as I found it to be more bother to set up than time saved.

I can see how that would be true if you didn't have one of THESE adjustable set plungers.
If you have one, setting it up is no different than adjusting a hand squeezer.

I tend to choose tools based on how much time I think they will save me (since I want to fly soon!). Tools I have found the most useful during my RV-10 build (in no particular order):

Multiple machine countersink cages: set one up for #30 and one for #40. Really handy rather than switching back and forth or doing "all" of one size then changing over then "all" of the others. "All" in quotes because if you're like me you will miss one and have to change over and go back.

Same for drills. Get at least one good lightweight aircraft drill and then maybe an inexpensive one from home depot or something. That way you can have #40 and 1/8" chucked and ready to go when you need them. Also consider getting #40 and #30 reamers. They make very smooth holes exactly the right size and the holes need less deburring than when you use just a drill. Sometimes you need a drill when there isn't a pre-punched hole to drill into but when final or match drilling the prepunched holes, the reamers are the way to go.

Bandsaw. Bandsaw. Bandsaw. I have had a Grizzly metal bandsaw for a long time and it has made absolute cake of the pieces I've had to cut. Big time saver over a hacksaw.

Combination belt/disc sander. I got one from Harbor Freight on sale and it works just fine. Get 220 grit discs and belts. That'll make short work of the roughing and then you can finish with 400 and 800 grit on sanding blocks.

Vixen files! These babies take metal off fast and leave a very flat and smooth finish if you use them right. These are particularly useful on thick pieces like the flap and aileron brackets. Also get a good variety of other fine files. Sometimes used tool stores will have a good selection of files. They may have some stains and rust but can be rehabilitated with not too much effort.

Get the biggest compressor you can afford. I got the big 60 gallon one from Harbor Freight (it has great reviews on many auto body sites and is a high quality unit). You can't have too much air, especially if you use die grinders and/or plan to prime/paint with a spray gun rather than rattle cans.

If you have a large enough workspace, hard pipe from the compressor to your main work stations. Use black iron, copper, galvanized, polyethylene, or PEX but never PVC pipe (PVC will shatter into many sharp shards if it ever breaks under air pressure). Buy a couple regulator stations so you can set them to what you need without having to readjust every time you switch from a drill to a rivet gun. You can even get the inexpensive regulators Harbor Freight sells and put QD couplings on them so you can move them from station to station as necessary.

Now that you have a monster compressor, go nuts with die grinders. If you can find a used tool store in your area, you can get a few for cheap (I found a whole drawer full at my local used tool store and bought the best ones I could find for less than $15 apiece). Then bring them home and tear them down and clean and oil them well. It seems that air tools that get discarded are mainly dumped for running slow or otherwise bad performance. This often has to do with being dirty. I was able to clean up the ones I bought and they ran at least twice as fast after cleaning as before.

Then go to harbor freight and buy their little die grinder fiber disc kit. I go through these quickly but they were the best time saver I had on the ribs. Get one of the small diameter mandrel/bases for them and you can get into tight corners with them too.

Then look for flap wheels and other fiber wheels you can mount on the die grinders. I found some great flap wheels that have scotchbrite sandwiched between sandpaper and they work really well for deburring the inside edges of rib lightening holes and similar places.

Scotch Brite wheel. I have one and mounted it on the above mentioned Harbor Freight 6" Buffer. Great combo. Although once I learned how to use the Vixen files I have been mainly using them plus small scotchbrite wheels in die grinders rather than the big wheel.

Pneumatic squeezer. I love mine. I have the three-yoke kit and it will reach most things you need to squeeze. Although I often find that I can buck a rivet to a higher quality than I can squeeze. Don't know why.

Tungsten bucking bar. I hardly use any of my other ones.

Clamps. Buy a lot of c-clamps and some heavily sprung plastic clamps. I found these really useful working on the spars, both to hold the spars to the table, and holding parts to the spars.

Thank You all!

I appreciate your support, it makes me feel less intimidated with the project.

I am sure I will post many questions and get great answers from you.

Thanks a Million!

Hi Scott,

I had the adjustable set and did use my pneumatic squeezer a fair bit during construction of my wing kit. I found it lived in my bottom drawer of my toolbox while my main squeezer was always close at hand. My pneumatic squeezer never developed into a "go to" tool for me. At +700 USD new I feel that the tool money could be better allocated at the start of the build to more useful items.

Cheers Jim

Last edited: