Mohammed

Patron
I am about to order my RV8 wing kit, is there any suggested changes or special orders I should make (I.e. fuel caps).

Also I may need to revamp my tools for the wings work. So what additional tools do I need for the wings that I may have not collected during empennage build? Shipping to my country cost a lot and it would be cheaper to buy all I need up front. My idea is to build the two wings together and use some extra hands by friends so it some redundant tools are good.

My current tools inventory:

1- Air Tools
============
Air drill, pneumatic squeezer, 3X rivet gun

2- Drill bits
==========
#40 Drill Bits
#30 Drill Bits
#40 Reamer Bit
#30 Reamer Bit

#40, #30 12'' Bits

#21 #19 #12 #10

Unibit 1/8"-1/2" x 32nds
#6 Nut Plate Drill Jig

3- Riveter Squeezer Set
=============
3/32" Cupped Set 3.5"
3/32" Dbl Offset Cup Rivet Set

1/8" Cupped Set 3.5"
1/8" Dbl Offset Cup Rivet Set
1/8" Thin Squeezer Cup Set

3/16" Cup Rivet Set 3.5"

1" Dia. Flush Set
#1 Flat Sqz. Set 1/8"x1/2"*
#2 Flat Sqz. Set 1/8"x3/8"
#8 Flat Sqz. Set 1/2"x3/8"

Back Rivet set

4- Countersink
=============
Microstop Countersink Unit
#40 Countersink
#30 Countersink
#8 Screw*
#10 Screw
#6 Screw
5- Dimple Dies
=============
Dimple Die Set for 3/32"
Dimple Die Set for 1/8"

3/32" Close Quarters Die Set
1/8" Close Quarters Die Set
#8 Screw DD set

6- Bucking Bars and Yokes
=======================

Back Rivet Plate

4" Yoke
3" Yoke

Clecos
=======
Pliers (air and manual)
1/8" Cleco (125)
3/32" clecos (150)
3/16" clecos (10)
5/32" clecos (10)
1/2" Cleko Clamp (6)
1" Cleko Clamp (6)

Miscellaneous
=============
Various edge deburr tools and wheels
Snipes
Edge Forming Tool
Fluting Pliers
Hand Seamer

Tools

Tools look pretty good. Here's a few nice to have tools.
Tungsten bar
Swivel flush set
Full drill bit set. I prefer to drill small pilot holes and move up
Threaded drill bit set
More clekos. If you plan to build both sings at the same time 1,000 3/32" is a good number. Get Wedgelock. Another 125 1/8" would be good too.
Another countersink cage or even two.
#12, #19, 3/16", 1/4" reamers
Longeron yoke
No hole yoke
#6, #8, #10 dimple dies
tank and substructure dies if you plan to use them

For the wing order
Add a longeron. They will add it to the two in the wing spar crate.

I assume you have a 3X rivet gun, so buy a 2X gun. The lighter gun works better on rib to skin rivets and you can use the 3X gun on the rivets that go through the spar. There is less chance of denting the skins with the smaller gun.

Also order two more micro stops. Set one up for -3 rivets, one for -4 rivets, and use the third one for everything else. I can't tell you how much time I wasted adjusting my micro stop every time a rivet size changed.

Don't forget to order landing, taxi, & position lights and stobes, wing conduit, extra pro seal, the better fuel pickup tube, extra gaskets for the fuel tanks, and extra rivets of various / common sizes in 1/4 lb bags. (I ran out for some reason), extra platenuts for 6-32 screws to hold the wing tips on, and screws. The plans call for pulled rivets.

Good luck with your wings!

Three Things...

...That I REALLY wish I had bought before I started my wings;

#8 Nutplate Jig (I mounted tips with hinges. If using screws, you will want a #6
also.)

NAS 1097 Rivets (for mounting nutplates)

Tungsten Bucking Bar(s)

Yes, you can build wings without these (I did)--but I would never again. The time and frustration saved is incalculable.

For the wing order
Add a longeron. They will add it to the two in the wing spar crate.

Thank you Larry. The longeron is part of the fuselage kit?

Don't forget to order landing, taxi, & position lights and stobes, wing conduit, extra pro seal, the better fuel pickup tube, extra gaskets for the fuel tanks, and extra rivets of various / common sizes in 1/4 lb bags. (I ran out for some reason), extra platenuts for 6-32 screws to hold the wing tips on, and screws. The plans call for pulled rivets.

Good luck with your wings!

Thank you Bill. Can't agree more on the micro stops. Shouldn't the lights and strobes come around the end of the project? Can you please elaborate on the pickup tube and the gaskets?

...That I REALLY wish I had bought before I started my wings;

#8 Nutplate Jig (I mounted tips with hinges. If using screws, you will want a #6
also.)

NAS 1097 Rivets (for mounting nutplates)

Tungsten Bucking Bar(s)

Yes, you can build wings without these (I did)--but I would never again. The time and frustration saved is incalculable.

Thank you I'll make sure they are part of my toolbox

Longeron

Yes, the longeron are part of the fuse kit but Vans ships them in the wing spar crate.
They are cheap but shipping is expensive because they are 15' long. Easy and cheap to add one to the wing order. It's cheap in case you have a problem and need a replacement.

Parts are supplied in the kit to make the standard fuel pickup. However vans sell a pre- made pickup in the accessory catalogue that will save you time and is probably a much better product. Also you could opt to fit flop tubes for inverted flight. These can also be bought from the catalogue. If getting the flop tube you need new access covers, I think T-408.

Extra tank sealant is a great idea, I very nearly ran out. However remember it has a 9 month shelf life, so you may need to order that separately.

Position and strobes can come later, however if you want leading edge landing lights, it's easier to install them while building the wing. Also the conduit for wiring to the wing tips, you will need that now, vans sell that.