I finished my first inspection a few weeks ago. I found a good check list and followed it taking my time. I didn't find any major problems, and no cracks in the tail. :)

Yes....start at either end of the airplane and work systematically to the other end. DON'T skip from the spinner to the control stick, then back to the firewall and so on. You'll only get lost as to where you were.

Start at the spinner, then the prop bolts, then the prop leading edges, then the front crankshaft seal, then the baffles, etc.....advice from an old A&P that I learned a lot from...

Best,

Yes....start at either end of the airplane and work systematically to the other end. DON'T skip from the spinner to the control stick, then back to the firewall and so on. You'll only get lost as to where you were.

Start at the spinner, then the prop bolts, then the prop leading edges, then the front crankshaft seal, then the baffles, etc.....advice from an old A&P that I learned a lot from...

Best,

Jay purchased this airplane. He can perform any other maintenance/repair/upgrade functions on the airplane, but cannot perform the condition inspection.

I too have a purchased RV. The AP who does my condition inspection encourages me to participate for the entire time. He spends all of the first day doing firewall forward. The second day is as Pierre describes - "spinner to tail".

The first time through I learned an incredible amount about the airplane and we established a solid base line for subsequent years.

Plan to keep lots of notes. Also have one piece a paper set aside to write down all of the "consumables" you need/use. This will become your shopping list ahead on the next inspection.

Most checklists are RV generic in nature. For the RV-8 I would include:

1. Check torque on gear leg bolts (often overlooked on the -8)
2. Perform a close inspection of the exhaust ramp for cracks (known issue)
3. Perform close inspection of the mid-section bottom fuselage skins for cracks (known issue)

Last edited:
Just finished mine

I just finished my annual, and the one thing I found was a small seeping fuel leak when the fuel pump was running. Had to remove a pipe thread cap screw, coat it with Loktite 567 and reassemble. All fixed.

In general I agree with the other comments above. Start at the prop and look at everything. I used the checklist my DAR used for the first inspection, then downloaded an annual inspecition form I found on this site. It was very complete. Here is a sampling of the items on my checklist...

- Repack wheel bearings
- Inspect and measure size of brake pads
- Change out fuel filters for new
- Compression test on engine cylinders
- ALL control systems
- Inspect for cracks, and wear
- Any rubbing, scrapping or any signs of stress in wire and tubing runs
- etc.

Search the forum and find a sample of someone's annual condition checklist and go from there.

Posted above are all good points; find an inspection checklist and use it, all well and good. But you get huge bonus points for not calling it a "conditional" inspection; awesome! It hurts my brain when guys call it that...

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys.

I have been doing annual inspections (under A&P supervision) on my aircraft since 1998, so I'm familiar with the individual tasks. My A&P will gladly sign off my work.

Re: The cracking of the floors, my -8A has already been repaired by the previous owner for precisely that problem. They installed reinforcements, not unlike the floor of a Cherokee. Seems to be stout, and looks fine.

I've got a good checklist, and I've ordered all sorts of consumables from Spruce and Van's. I've got my newly built wing jacks. I think I'm ready to go -- in June!

Thanks again...

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys.
I have been doing annual inspections (under A&P supervision) on my aircraft since 1998, so I'm familiar with the individual tasks. My A&P will gladly sign off my work.
Thanks again...

It might be important to note here that an A&P may delegate and sign off maintenance done by another, but he may NOT delegate an inspection.
He must perform the inspection himself.

Last edited:
It might be important to note here that an A&P may delegate and sign off maintenance done by another, but he may NOT delegate an inspection.
He must perform the inspection himself.

Thanks for the clarification.