Fallguy

Well, I am getting ready to build, and really want to be able to share the peaks and valleys with others. I've got a digital camera (2 actually. one takes pictures waayy too well). I have computers and the like, but I am running on empty when it comes to building the website that will keep track and offer up helpings of my aluminum fascination to others.

Sooo... (as Ken Scott said in the video) (he said soooo in the video), does anybody know what to do? Is there a plug and play version (with instructions) for how to carry out the Checkoway/Sadecki/insert other awesome website/Reeves quality?

Any ideas? thanks

Wade

Last edited:
Too much work

If I were doing it again I wouldn't bother. I'd still take lots of key photos, but the web site thing takes way too much time to bother imho. If you come up with a novel "gotcha" or trick that you want to share, I'd focus on that. Otherwise, how many times do we have to see the same stuff over and over again? :rolleyes:

Time spent typing could be time spent deburring...

My 2 cents -- take lots of photos, and specifically get photos of YOU working on the plane. The FSDO will most likely want to see you in the pictures when you apply for your Repairman's Certificate.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Soooo ;), I take it you don't have any web (HTML or the like) experience.

If that is the case then I would probably suggest you look into some of the popular blogging tools that are available, as they will almost eliminate the need to do any coding. Examples....

Expertcraft - Web based project log for homebuilts
Wordpress - blogging site/tool
Blogger - blogging site/tool

Any of these can be customized somewhat, but you will probably need to know a little HTML (code) to do so.

If you want more control, then just start learing HTML, but I wouldn't want it to take time away from your other new project. :)

Expercraft Easy!!

Wade,

I currently use Expercraft which Brad mentioned. I can't rave enough about it. It is SUPER simple!!! You go in whenever you need to, fill in the blanks, and you have a website. You can post 1 picture per post in the general pages and up to 3 pics per post in the construction log pages.

Incidentally, Rob Riggen who operates Expercraft emailed me the other day to say a major upgrade is going to be rolled out soon. No details yet, but he was hoping for Oct timeframe.

thanks guys, your advice is--as always--valued

In response, I do have just a touch of html/xhtml in my head. The expercraft thingy looks awesome. I already blog a bit, but I've had nothing but trouble getting the picture host I chose to work worth a darned.

I would love to get in the easy end (expercraft?) and transition to more complex stuff as my knowledge increased. Kinda like with the airplane... and the whole basket of hobbies I've had.

Hey, Dan! That LogShare thingy you threw together is awesome. You do keep a seperate paper copy though, right?

Well, Thanks for the time guys.

Wade

PS I got the lumber dimensioned and cut for two eaa1000 model worktables... uh, and i cleaned up afterwords, too. I also checked my new bandsaw on some scrap aluminum (not a beer can--we drink microbrews up here), like buttuh. Sounds funny though. I'm used to making furniture outta wood, not airplanes. Gonna be fun.

Wade,

I really have to agree with Dan Checkoway here. I also wanted to create a website with all the in and outs of building my -8. I found it too time consuming and would rather focus the time on building. Heck, between Dan's RV Project and Bill Vondanes RV8A who could ask for anything more. I think I visit their website about 9 or 10 times a week. I do take tons of pictures for the FAA while I'm building.

Agree with Dan. He did such a great job documenting, as well as many others, that it really isn't necessary any more. If you can post your tips & tricks and problems/resolutions, that would help others a lot.

I wrote my own blogging program I guess because I was bored at work one day (just adapted from another one of my programs). It only takes a sec to download pics and comment. If you can make your system very easily, then it will probably get done more often.

Kiss

Wade,

All the while I was viewing sites like Checkoway's and Birkelbach's (in the early years), and a few others, I was blessing them for taking the time to post such elaborations. It helped several times. I sure wouldn't take on such an effort without having silicon in my blood. Better taking the time to build, unless you really, really want to share your experience, and realize that the ground is already well trodden.

As far as documentation is concerned, your FSDO/DAR may be a pussycat. I had eight pages of chicken stratches with terse entries and approximate hours for each work day. That sort of thing is a whole lot faster than involving a computer. The DAR couldn't care less that I had no pictures, and all he did was confirm that I indeed did keep a log to substantiate his belief that I probably wasn't lying about building the airplane. I had a prepared argument if he complained: I don't take pictures of me flying an airplane. A holographic log is all that's required by the FAA, why do you Mr. DAR, not accept my handwritten builders log without pictures? Phew, so much for courtroom drama, but life in Boise is less, er, ah, formal than the real world. When you call Flight Service to open a flight plan, they simply acknowledge that it's done, without first reading the AIM, FARs, and telling you that VFR is a fool's game.

I digress. Make the log as you want it, but bureaurocratically speaking I think the need of complicated documentation is overblown. Otherwise, it's your time.

John Siebold
Boise, yawn, ID

Last edited: