Jack Tyler

Well Known Member
We'll be visiting friends who live to the SW of Austin's main airport (KAUS), and so I'm reluctant to land and tie down at Austin Exec (KEDC), out of town to the NE< out of concern for the extra driving they would need to do to pick us up/drop us off. OTOH I'm betting the smaller 'executive' airport has cheaper fees, and it surely has cheaper fuel. Can a few of you folks comment on just how much I'll 'regret' my desire to be considerate. (Plan B would be to pick up a rental car at KEDC - would that make even more sense?) Many thanks!

Jack

One other thing to consider in addition to the mileage is that traffic is often very bad traveling through Austin on I-35 and 290. You can go around on 130 but you'll pay as it's a toll road.

I have flown into KEDC several times and have to say that they are extremely nice, have an awesome facility and very good prices on fuel.

Heck, where you unload the plane is covered so you don't even have to worry about the rain.

It is a bit out of town though. I think I paid $40 for my last rental car there.

Maybe San Marcos?

I don't have any fish to fry here, but looking at the maps and looking at the pilots' reports on AirNav.com, I'm wondering if San Marcos would be an option. If your friends live on the SW side of Austin, it looks like open freeway on I35 down to San Marcos (KHYI) . The driving mileage may be more, but I'd think the driving time might be the same or less.

Whether you choose KEDC or KHYI, there are favorable fuel prices and several favorable comments for either of these, according to AirNav.com.

I flew into KEDC and it was pretty nice. Almost too nice. The big overhang you taxi under seemed a little overkill. Plus I was parking right next to some biz jets. The price of fuel was cheap at the time, not sure about right now.

The down side is that it's a little way out of the city. But our friends came out and picked us up in their car.

I would be interested in other options in the Austin area too. But over all KEDC was nice.

Thanks, everyone. Very helpful info and a good suggestion on looking further to the south side, too.

Jack

50R

The folks at Lockhart are nice people. There are 2 or 3 RV's there among other homebuilts.

Straight down US 183 about 30 mi. South of Downtown, closer if you're going Southwest of KAUS. I'm sure they can arrange for a rental car if you need one.

AUS is great if you want to pay $7+/gal for 100LL plus high tie-down fees. EDC and HYI are good choices. There is a tollway (130 I think) that goes right past EDC and you can avoid most of the dreaded I35. It will be a longer drive than AUS but not too painful.