Flyguytki

Well Known Member
So my wings are due to be delivered this thursday, only problem is I have class all day and so do my friends who would be able to help me unload from the truck. ABF quoted lift gate service at $135!!! Rediculious! Getting out of class is not the problem, its getting 400 pounds off the back of the truck by myself. In your experience are the drivers pretty nice and willing to at least help you out during unloading?? or will it all be on my own? Im thinking of picking up 2 dollies from Harbor Freight to help out, any other ideas on what could assist in the process??

Kit is a Slow build 7

thanks alot
-david

I received my RV-10 wings back in Jan. I didn't request a lift gate, but the truck had it nevertheless. We didn't use it in any event. On this delivery and when I got my tailcone, the drivers were very helpful offloading the crates into my garage: on both occasions it was just me and the driver. The wing crate was a particular bear as the driver had backed the truck up to my garage but my driveway has an incline so we had to muscle the crate uphill to get it out of the truck. Had the crate had runners we could have used his pallet jack, but it didn't so we had to do it the hard way.

To top it off, I had damage to the main crate but the driver made sure that I properly annotated the BOL so that I could submit a claim. ABF has an online service for that on their website. I followed the instuctions and had a check within a week.

The wings will come in two crates, around 200 pounds each. Two hefty guys can carry them off the truck a short distance to the work shop if needed. It's not fun, but it can be done.

When my wings showed up (slow build 9A), they wanted about $120 for the lift gate service, I said BS. When the driver showed up I offered a $20 bill and a cold beer to help me carry 'em off the truck into the garage. He didn't say a word, just grabbed his gloves and started putting them on.

I used DB Schenker (BAX Global).. Great experience

My finish kit (371 lbs) in a 4x8x2 crate shipped to Jacksonville FL. $500 freight, including drayage delivery by a local cartage company who they subcontract with and must have been an invisiible part of the freight quote. Driver power fork lifted crate sitting on two pallets off lift gate, into garage. He helped me get the pallets out and put the crate on 3 of my furniture dollies to roll it around. Gave him $20 for beer money. I was totally satisfied with this trucking and delivery service. However, I did not realize it would take me over 6 hours to unpack, veryify contents, and rebox it.

I received my slow build wings last month. There are two boxes that weigh about 200lbs each. My neighbor helped me carry them to the garage from the back of the truck, about 50'. I was prepared to do it solo but the help made it very easy. I had a flat dolly ready like the movers use and that would have worked fine. You can slide one end of the crate onto the ground, position the flat dolly where the middle of the crate will be and then swing the other end off and onto the dolly.

Here are the crates in the aircraft factory:

Snapshot_20100202_1.jpg

Just make sure you pop the top off the crates and do a quick visual for dinged corners on sheet metal, etc.

Those BIG RED arrows mean nothing...My wing kit arrived with on crate standing on end, and I've had other shipments in various positions (NOT the correct ones). The $$$ all over the boxes seem to invite "creative" handling.

Good advice, but the driver is probably not going to wait around for you to do it. What my driver told me to do (and what I did do) was to annotate the paperwork with: Damage on end of crate 1 of 2. Possible concealed damage.

I then went to the website, uploaded pics of the damaged crate and my damaged skins and the replacement costs. ABF paid me the exact amount that I requested without any issues.

Although my experiences with ABF have been positive (except for the damage) I'm going to try and use Partain for my fuse shipment.

If the crate is undamaged, then I can understand the driver not waiting. You'll need to do a damage claim to Van's with pictures. My tail kit arrived with the crate badly damaged and the stuff inside was Ok; Van's does a great job of packing and securing the stuff on the inside. However, I don't accept a damaged crate ever (learned the hard way on a PA system), so it went back to Van's for a complete check and was back to me the following week. The driver up here loves delivering this stuff (they deliver to my hangar) and not only helps unload but spends a few minutes checking out my toys. I expect your local driver would be similarly interested if you talk to him.

BTW, be nice to your locals. They aren't responsible for the way your freight gets mishandled in transit to them and are likely to be sympathetic to you as long as you don't get hostile with them over the condition of your shipment. My driver was suggesting I'd probably want to return my tail kit before I even saw it and was very apologetic for the condition. The company paid for the return shipping and reshipping without a hassle.

I've never had a problem with them waiting while I did quick check, and oftentimes they've helped (cutting straps, etc.). I'm always nice to them, and courteous, but they're not leaving and I'm not signing until I get at least a quick check for obvious damage.

My engine arrived with two holes in the bottom of the box...obviously from a forklift...no *way* was the guy leaving until we had opened the box and inspected it (the holes only went about 1" into the massive foam packaging material, so no problem).

Bottom line...I'm paying for the delivery service, so they're working for me. That means they stay until I'm assured there's no damage...so far, I've been lucky :)

Agree, always best to treat the drivers nice. However, don't bet that every driver will be so helpful. As I said the drivers helped me out quite a bit, but I don't think the shipping contract obligates them to do so, nor do they have to stick around while you inspect the contents for damage. If they really wanted to jerks I think thay can say either except it or refuse it and that's that. I could be wrong, but I think you'd have to read the fine print to find out what services you actually paid for vs. those courtesies the driver is rendering on his on free will.

For my fuse and finish kits I had the crates held at the local receiving facility. It saved me the delivery fee and I didn't have to work around their schedule. When I told them I would pick it up they subtracted $75 from my total.

Instead I rented the flat bed truck from the local Home Depot. I think it was $20-$30. They loaded my crates onto the truck with a fork lift, and the truck had ramps so it was pretty easy to get them off when I got home.

Just got a call from the driver, Meeting him at 1:00........ now all I need is this Space Stations Systems class to hurry up and be finished. Test review today so I guess I should Hang around for it..
-david