CFI1513840

Well Known Member
The AB4-125X1 1/2 aluminum bar provided to fabricate F-705B was badly scored along one edge, as well as the F-605C spar doublers (same material). Vans was very good about replacing the parts free-of-charge. The only problem was the replacements weren?t much better than the originals. I decided to remove scoring with a scotchbrite wheel, removing up to about 1/64" depth at the edge, tapering back to about 1/4" from the edge. I'm hoping this doesn't compromise the integrity of the spar bars but would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

IM no engineer but...

If you blended it out as you say I can not imagine 1/64 being something to worry about. that is provided you got rid of all of it so as not to have a stress riser there. My .02 is build away. You have a lot of meat left there to work with.
I found a similar mark on my elevator push pull tube, long after my 30 day inventory was done but I know it came shipped that way so I buffed it out and was not happy, called vans and while they would not replace for free I did get it at their cost, I was happy as it didnt matter to me I was replacing the part to make me feel good. The torque tube does not have near the meat that spar stiffener has so anyway Id go with it.

Thanks

Jeremy,

Thanks for the advice. You confirmed my opinion, which is to continue on after removing all of the marks. I was also curious to know how many other builders have experienced this defect, but based on the lack of comments, I can only assume this is a rare exception.