Status
Not open for further replies.

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
Major Update - Power & Drag Model - Feedback Requested

Please see new post, 3rd below.

I gave EAA from last August until now. They can still publish it if they want, but I want to share this and get your feedback. It's pretty involved, however some of you may find it worth a look.
In it you will find:
  • Explanation how CAFE results can be improved & how to tell when they are wrong.
  • Explanation how low speed sink rate and cruise fuel flow relate
  • How to find sink rate(s) without turning off engine nor zero thrust device
  • Explanation how prop losses and SFC fit the model - good for estimating
Thanks

Link to Article

Spreadsheet.jpg

Last edited:
Major Update - Power & Drag Model - Feedback Requested

The article itself has been re-written with about half the content new, or enhanced.

With respect to the XLS, it's new from the ground up and very user friendly now, even giving CAS from TAS at a known Density Altitude and providing Density Altitude from pressure altitude and OAT.

The Model can now measure prop efficiency in the real world - something I have not seen before. It can also show how things change with weight. It can be used to predict fuel consumption at a given TAS & altitude. Last and not least it shows how the average guy can approximate the CAFE Zero Thrust method of testing quite closely without the special device.

The URL is unchanged: http://home.cogeco.ca/~n17hh/ArticleForEAA.html

ModelPicture.jpg

Thanks!

For posting this great resource. I am looking forward to exploring it when I am well into Phase 1. Rather than just burning holes in the sky, I know I will prefer a bit more structure and well articulated goals of specific flight testing.

I noticed a lack of feedback to your initial post but wonder whether part of that is people simply working their way through it. I've saved it to my flight testing files.

Thanks again.

Jeremy Constant

Status
Not open for further replies.