Davepar

Well Known Member
I live on the approach path for a local GA airport and often thought it would be nice to listen in on the planes buzzing overhead while I slave away on the project. I figured I'd eventually break down and get a nice ICOM handheld, but is there a cheap receiver that works well for picking up the aviation band? Maybe a cheap Radio Shack scanner?

Do a Google / Frrogle search for Aircraft Scanner or Aviation Band Scanner. Also, you might check eBay but be careful, some older units batteries are hard to find.

I received a Radio Shack hand held scanner about 2 1/2 years ago as a gift (I believe cost about $100) works great! Recieve only. Has a BNC for use with an external antenna which really helps. I live 5nm from KUES and can even hear most of ground comm. It may help that I live on one of the highest elevations in the county. I thought it would be junk by now the way it gets abused (rides along in flight bag) but works like new after many hours of use. BTW not all Radio Shack scanners have "air band".

TS

Sportys has a desktop rx'er for about $100.00. This is from their literature:

Air-Scan V Desktop Scanner: AM/FM Radio plus Air-Band Scanner with Aviation Interrupt
Sporty?s Air-Scan? V Desktop Aviation Radio/Scanner gives pilots and aviation buffs two radios in one. With our exclusive Aviation Interrupt? feature you can listen to a ballgame, talk-radio or music and never miss an exciting aviation transmission

Go to http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&Product_ID=6679&DID=19

Regards,

Last edited:
Why not do what I did. I got a handheld and a rooftop antenna.

I don't transmit much, but if I hear someone I know I have the ability. Plus, it comes in handy as a backup when I am on long flights.

:rolleyes: CJ

Captain_John said:
I don't transmit much,
:rolleyes: CJ

i think you really meant "i don't transmit any" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) -- unless you have a station license. fcc rule, dontcha know.

Thanks for the ideas.

johnp said:
i think you really meant "i don't transmit any" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) -- unless you have a station license. fcc rule, dontcha know.

We can just sit in the fuselage while transmitting. Then it's all legal. :cool:

I use the Sportys model referenced above in my garage. Attached an external antenna mounted outside on the patio roof. Works pretty well, can hear the tower and unicom from 2 airports each about 10 miles away.

I gutted (except for the power supply) an old P1 Compaq computer that my IT department was "obsoleting". I cut a rectangualr opening in the front panel to fit my old Genave 100 nav/com. A Radio Shack 5" speaker sits next to the radio in the floppy drive bay. Connect the power supply +12v and ground wires to the radio. Run the antenna wires (2 req'd for that old radio) and you're good to go.
Steve

External antenna for Sporty's?

painless said:
Sportys has a desktop rx'er for about $100.00. This is from their literature:

Air-Scan V Desktop Scanner: AM/FM Radio plus Air-Band Scanner with Aviation Interrupt
Sporty?s Air-Scan? V Desktop Aviation Radio/Scanner gives pilots and aviation buffs two radios in one. With our exclusive Aviation Interrupt? feature you can listen to a ballgame, talk-radio or music and never miss an exciting aviation transmission

Go to http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&Product_ID=6679&DID=19

Regards,
Does anybody know if you can attach an external antenna to this?

Thanks