Toddav8r

For the 2nd time in the previous 6 months, we rented a travel trailer and took the kids camping. On the last night of the adventure, as I sat and watched my wife make smores around the campfire with the 3 yr old girl, and 6 & 9 yr old boys, I came to the conclusion that we MUST purchase a trailer for ourselves. We have so much fun and there's too many good family memories that can be made with a camping trailer.

It's a moment that's been brewing for awhile, with the wife dropping hints....constantly pointing out trailers for sale....camping and trailer brochures showing up....

Knowing my wife's taste, the fact that we will be using it for at least the next 10 years, and coupled with fact that most RV lots are desperate to move trailers, buying new has been the growing theme.

My hesitation and concern has been how it will affect my build. I mean geez, I'm already setting a snails pace with a military career and a busy family/church life. I've managed to make some recent progress AND positioned myself to buy my finishing kit, firewall forward kit, engine, and Catto prop this year. Now I'm buying a finishing kit, firewall forward kit, and a nice new travel trailer. The engine/prop piggy bank just got robbed!! :eek: It will take me awhile to save my pennies again...

At least I now have something to take to Oshkosh of my own versus renting.

Yes, I'm lamenting a little for my project....but I'm excited about the prospects for my family. The kids are this age only once, and when it comes down it, I'll happily trade some weekends in the garage with camping trips with them.

Oh well...I'll keep chipping away, slowly refill the piggy bank, and get this thing in the air someday. In the meantime, I'll make some memories.....:)

Some things are more important than airplanes

I was figuring a 3-yr build when I started in 2005. Ha ha. Six years have now passed. Sure, I could have done it in 3-4 years, but not without compromising family time while the kids are young. No regrets. We've loved having a camping trailer too (small pop-up). Happy camping!

Last edited:
You said you're going to use the trailer for at least 10 years...so sounds like you can sell it and buy an engine at just the right time :D

Your priorities are where they should be. I am right there with you. Family is WAAAAYYYY more important than airplanes. When its finished, its finished. The way you are managing it your project will be finished AND you will not regret the way in which you went about it. Family is always first. Your family loves and needs you, your airplane doesn't. Good decisions!

I bought my tail kit in 1999. I've had a move, raised kids, job change, etc. - all things that took higher priority than working on the airplane. But I'm back to actively building, and looking to set a completion goal of June 2013.

You've got your priorities in order, and a great attitude! I'm sure you'll have your -8 flying sooner than you expect. In the meantime, enjoy the camping!

Wise choice.

Yes, I'm lamenting a little for my project....but I'm excited about the prospects for my family. The kids are this age only once, and when it comes down it, I'll happily trade some weekends in the garage with camping trips with them.

Sounds like you have life figured out pretty will.

Oh well...I'll keep chipping away, slowly refill the piggy bank, and get this thing in the air someday. In the meantime, I'll make some memories.....:)

Hopefully your family will recognize the time and money diversion to the camping, and you end up getting additional support in the plane building dept. as a result.

Good luck,

Hey Todd,

i have a 10 week old daughter that i was allowed to hold it in my arms for 30 minutes a couple of weeks ago... that was enough to fall in love with her. most likely i will never see her again, the mother wants it that way.

right now for me the rv7-project is nothing else than distraction. keep in mind that a rv is a wonderful machine and a cool project, but is still just a piece of metal with a lot of cables in it.

enjoy the time with your familiy and appreciate every moment with your children. the piece of metal can wait and it will not be upset if you abandon it for a while. but it seems you got that anyway...:)

Kay

Family First "Period"

Your priorities are in the right place!

I have been working on mine for years and its coming along wonderfully.

My youngest was in first grade when I started, he currently is a sophomore at cal poly SLO.

Build when you can and enjoy all of it!:)

Sounds like your priorities are in the right place.
You may give a little more thoiught to looking at a used camper. They depreciate so fast, in this economy you should be able to get a steal.
It may take a little more searching to get what you want. We picked up one hardly used in excellent condition.

I like to take my family with me to Oshkosh and it makes it so much nicer after a long hot day to come back and relax in A/C and have a real bed.

I'll get back to flying someday...

Just a thought but now might not be the best time to buy something new. I would see if you could find the type trailer you want that is a year or two old. Prices on trailers, cars, boats and planes are crazy low at the moment on fairly new used items. Could save you a bit for the plane!!!!!

George

Looking way back when my two sons were young we bought a small motorhome and ski boat. I wouldn't trade those memories of fishing, camping, and water skiing for anything. Years later one of my sons is a pilot and we have a new hobby to share.

Nice Choice, Todd!

Don't worry about the "slow build." As everyone else has said, family comes first! I've got fifteen years into my build, but am finishing this year. In the meantime, I coached over twenty-five sports teams in about twelve years and volunteered as a baseball league official for three. I learned more about baseball for a non-player than I ever thought possible. My boys and I have had a great journey, learning a lot about ourselves, each other and the competition in life.

The airplane is done when it's done, as long as family is there!:)

Good Luck!

Keep chipping away

I decided to buy my empennage kit when I came home from Iraq in '03. Didn't really get around to it until '06. Then came a trip to Afghanistan. This year I will be home 2 months after six months TDY and another deployment coming up in a few weeks. I am going to set a record for the slowest quick build ever completed, but it will get built.

The military keeps us very busy and away a lot of the time. Enjoy your time with your family. Maybe your children will enjoy building with you, but enjoy every second with them whatever you do. The plane will get done someday.

Bought my tail kid on Sept 4 2001 when I was a newlywed SSGT in the Air Force fixing airplanes. Now, I'm a Capt. in the Air Force flying airplanes with 3 kids and I'm a couple weeks away from starting on the finishing kit as of today. Of course, the project will slow down soon as we will be spending much of our time in my 42' camper parked at the lake with a good view of my 22' pontoon! That's real life...the RV is just a hobby....

Look at it this way. Sounds like you're in your mid-30s...I am mid-50s. I started my RV build 3 years ago, and I hope to finish by age 60. So even if you take more time than you thought, you will finish a long time before my age (and many others) when I complete mine...and have all that time to enjoy your airplane and family.