flickroll

Well Known Member
I have never been able to change the oil filter on my O-360-A1A without making an extreme mess. I would stuff paper towels under the filter, hoping to catch the oil that spills when an old filter is removed. That method was not so good and I always made a mess removing the filter. The spilled oil would run down wires, cables, etc, and no matter how hard I tried to clean it up, it would eventually make its way to the belly of the aircraft. I dreaded changing the oil in my -8. Then one day I saw the following in a thread on VAF:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/draintool.php

It is not cheap, but I thought I'd give it a try. Today I was finally able to use it. It's a miracle. Did not spill one drop. Ran a hose from the fitting to a bucket, and in just a few minutes the filter was completely drained. Spun the old filter off, installed a new one, and as the TV ads used to claim....no muss, no fuss... YMMV

Neat idea.

When I change the oil on my flying club's planes, I just loosen the oil filter slightly, then put a bread bag around it, then unscrew it the rest of the way. All the oil stays in the bag - neat & clean.

Neat idea.

When I change the oil on my flying club's planes, I just loosen the oil filter slightly, then put a bread bag around it, then unscrew it the rest of the way. All the oil stays in the bag - neat & clean.

We use a zip loc baggie.

Marshall Alexander

I use an ice pick to put a hole in the top of the oil filter and then one in the bottom with an automatic transmission fill funnel underneath draining into a catch can. Give it a couple of hours and then screw off the filter. No mess.

Bags work. Punch & funnel works, but too slow. Quite often, I drain the sump, close the drain, then add one quart of oil. Then I put the cap on the empty oil quart, whip out my leatherman, AKA universal aircraft tool, and cut one side off the bottle to make a catch pan. Depending on access, you can cut off a wide side or narrow side. Then you can wedge it under the lip of the filter adapter. It will catch everything. Just make sure you scope out a route for removing the half-filled bottle so it won't spill. Sometimes you can drop the filter into the tray & slide it all out if you have room.

I have a trough that I made out of scrap aluminum that I shove in from the side. I stick that in underneath the filter and the other end is over the drain bucket. Crack the filter loose and let it drip onto the trough for 20 minutes. Not a drop anywhere after I do that.

this 3 1/2" by 3 1/2" tall plastic unit cut from a vitamin bottle does the job. slip it under the filter and away you go. got plenty in stock here in florida as needed. this one is fresh cut and unused. stop by or see you in sebring wednesdays 8 am. turbo out.
img0366x.jpg