Ralph Kramden

I had my first flight today as a member of the Civil Air Patrol. If you are looking for flying opportunities while you are building your RV and you would like to serve your country as well, consider joining CAP.

CAP is a volunteer organization of the US Air Force. Besides providing cadet and aerospace education services, it is probably best known for being the primary search and rescue organization in the US. We fly (mostly) Cessna 172s and 182s (the 182s are new and have glass cockpits) and have about 550 of these aircraft positioned around the country. We also do counter drug, disaster relief and homeland security missions. You don't have to be a pilot to participate in flying missions (but most everyone reading this IS a pilot) but if you are a pilot there is lots of flying to do. You can rent the airplanes for training missions for much less than you could from your local FBO - our 172R is fully equipped (GPS, DME, IFR, etc) and rents for $32/hour dry. If you are training with two others, then that cost gets divided by three. If on an "air force assigned mission" then the cost of flying is covered by the Air Force.

To train to be a mission pilot, you need 175 hours PIC with 50 PIC CC. But you can fly the airplanes with even less time - 100 hours PIC to be a mission transport pilot. You can train to get your IFR rating or your commerical rating. CAP (USAF) regulations have to be followed, but it is real flying.

Our missions usually involve three people in the Cessna flying 80 knots and at about 1000 feet AGL to search for lost aircraft or to do aerial surveys of disaster areas. A mission pilot flies the airplane while a mission observer observes from the right front seat and a mission scanner observes from the lest rear seat. A mission transport pilot can fly "Highbird" missions where the purpose is to take a radio repeater aloft to about 8000 feet and loiter for hours providing communications to ground teams and low flying CAP aircraft.

Today's flight was a training flight with me in the right seat. We practiced flying a low search pattern. I learned clearly that in oroder to be useful as a search and rescue flyer you really do have to prepare and train in advance. I have heard people on this forum wanting to go out and fly search missions for lost RVers, but really a single pilot flying a low wing aircraft like an RV would be ineffective. If you want to help when something bad happens, then invest the time now and join up with CAP.

Later this week, I should be taking a checkride in order to be qualified to pilot the airplane myself. Our squadron has 25 members and one 172 and not many pilots right now. There are units everywhere.

No, it's not an RV, but it is useful flying for a good purpose. Beats sitting in the basement waiting for my RV kit to become flyable.

Interested? Try www.cap.gov for details.

--REK

Last edited:
Thanks for the info - I didn't realize that there were opportunities for people like me who have not yet finished flight training. Maybe they will have a use for me and my Ham radio license - or communications/radio experience anyways.

CAP Needs COMM

Baja_Traveler said:
Thanks for the info - I didn't realize that there were opportunities for people like me who have not yet finished flight training. Maybe they will have a use for me and my Ham radio license - or communications/radio experience anyways.
Yes, CAP can and will use your COMM experience. We had several hams that did CAP work in ORWG. We were lucky to have a very experienced Sr. Master Sargent who worked with us and we learned from him.

So, yes, if you can find a good squadron to work with, please do.

Baja_Traveler said:

There are in fact many non-pilot jobs to be done. Radio is one of them. I am a ham operator as well and I can tell you they have an extensive VHF FM repeater system nationwide, airborne repeaters, P25 capable VHF FM interoperable systems with the rest of the federal government, and HF SSB systems. Besides needing scanners and observers, ground teams are needed as well - it is one thing to spot the crash from the air but someone really needs to go walk up to it and help survivors.

--REK

radio operaters?

was wondering how many rv'ers are also radio operators. . . just curious.

KI4DNI

I ran 80 and 40 meters as a kid with the novice ticket from the age of 12 to 14. Ran an old Heathkit Xtmitter and a Hallicrafters rec.

WB3DGA... a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away :)

grover said:
was wondering how many rv'ers are also radio operators. . . just curious.

KI4DNI

Me too...

Way back in the day (late 70's) as part of my misspent youth I had a novice ticket (KA7HZO). Had Atlas, Swan, and Ten-Tec radios at various times, much home-brewed gear including an antenna tuner and electronic keyer, and much to the annoyance of neighbors, I had a 400 foot long end-fed Zepp antenna.

During high school I worked for a small electronics manufacturer in Sedona, AZ where I grew up. (Kachina Communications, which has apparently since morphed into Swift Wireless) My boss was Les Earnshaw, a ham, past owner of Southcom, designer for Atlas Radio, and something of a pioneer in ham radio. He is a pilot and generally an all-around incredibly good guy. I learned a lot while there but wandered on to different hobbies/pursuits.

I still have the soldering ability and perhaps most useful, a healthy respect for, but total lack of fear of circuits, boards, home-brew electronics, etc. I am counting on that to be of use as I wire my plane.

George

radio

I find it interesting how many people on this forum are so similar.

I, also am a ham (KM5XE) AND an engineer AND I'm building an RV9A.

I guess we're just a bunch of nerds :D

Dave

grjtucson said:
Way back in the day (late 70's) as part of my misspent youth I had a novice ticket (KA7HZO). Had Atlas, Swan, and Ten-Tec radios at various times, much home-brewed gear including an antenna tuner and electronic keyer, and much to the annoyance of neighbors, I had a 400 foot long end-fed Zepp antenna....

George

I spent some time with someone in your neck of the woods last week - down in Green Valley, We were both on 2 meters using the WIN system (Western Intertie Network). Really cool system covers most of the western states (including Alaska and one in Australia) covering 2 meter and 70cm repeaters tied over the internet.

KI6IWX

Back to the Original Discussion

I have been a CAP member for years and really enjoy it. My position is the Emergency Services Officer for two squadrons, one is a Composite Squadron that is mostly Cadets and the other is a Senior Squadron with no Cadets but lots of older kids that range from around 25 to 75+.

Here in Maryland we have a unique situation where we fly Bay Patrols and Bridge Patrols over the Chesapeake Bay so we get LOTS of flying time that someone else pays for. This past Saturday as a Mission Pilot I flew our C182RG for 5 hours on Bay Patrol, patrolling for the MD DNR and the Coast Guard for boaters in distress. The Chesapeake Bay is a very active boating paradise and off of Annapolis alone there must have been around 200 boats out. Last week I did the Bridge Patrol flying a 20 mile circuit around the Bay Bridge reporting traffic problems and HLS issues directly to MD officials. The Bay Bridge is a vital artery that is very heavily traveled on weekends when everyone is going to the beaches. I am a member of the Counter Drug program and train to fly missions for a variety of law enforcement agencies. Commercial pilots here fly DNR missions to count everything from swans to bears. Last fall I attended a three day CAP mountain flying clinic and learned how to fly up close and personal in the mountains for search and rescue. Slipping an airplane down a mountain drainage is scary and a lot of fun. Contour searching with up and down drafts bouncing you around with a mountain side 1000' off your wing, practicing canyon turns and learning how to turn an aircraft in a tight spot all take lots of training. CAP uses a course developed in large part by Sparky Imeson called Mountain Fury.

I also am a Ground Team Leader and enjoy getting out into the wilds of Western MD with my team and other teams. Many of the Cadets get involved and it's great to watch them mature as they go through the program. Last year we had a massive 5 day search for a downed aircraft. So far this year teams have done crash site security 3 times that I know of until the NTSB could take over the sites. We also get a lot of non-distress ELT missions. Many around the Bay and Ocean as boasters EPRBS go off.

The Cadets are entitled to 5 Orientation Flights that are about 1hr each and guess who gets to fly them. This is a much better program than Young Eagles because instead of a short around the patch flight they have a series of 5 syllabuses that are followed in which they sit right seat and learn different simple things about flight. You do not have to be a CFI to be an O-Ride pilot but must have over 200 hrs of PIC time. You can also be an Air Force ROTC O-Ride pilot and take up ROTC Cadets.

My daughter was in for many years and attended the National Flight Acadamy. She earned a scholarship which paid for most of it. It costs only around $800 and covers one week of flight training, about 10 hrs, food and lodging. They do ground school and also other activities in the evenings. She soloed the last day and has already tried out the cockpit of the RV for the future.

When I worked on my instrument rating I did not have to pay for an instructor because I did it through CAP. The planes are inexpensive to fly. The C182RG is the most expensive here at $55/hr dry. We have two C182's with G1000's here and they are only $48/hr dry. A bunch of C182's and C172's. Pretty inexpensive flying. I plan on doing my Commercial this fall in the RG. This summer I will get my tow plane rating at no cost to myself. The MDWG (Maryland Wing) glider is only 40 miles away in Frederick. The planes are maintained to USAF standards so I feel much safer in them than I would a rental.

Communications are a big part of CAP although I do not get involved in it. There are many HAMs in CAP. I let my General ticket expire after loosing interest many years ago.

You can participate as much or as little as you like. It's definitely worth checking out. The uniforms can be be a little intimidating but they beat wearing a Boy Scout uniform (did that as a kid). You can wear the CAP only uniforms which is an embroidered blue golf shirt or white pilot shirt with name tag and grey slacks or go gung ho with a flight suite. It's what you feel most comfortable in.

The Cadets have lots of options in the program as well. They earn rank by taking three tests; Aerospace, Leadership, and PT. They learn about organization and leadership and basically run their own program. They can participate in many things such as model rocketry, Drill Team, Color Guard, Emergency Services, flight activities, field trips, etc. The Cadets at our squadron go downtown the first Saturday morning of each month and wash the Vietnam Memorial Wall with the Park Service. Yeah...they get LOTS of community service hours for everything they participate in (Hint to Parents). My squadron is about 50/50 boys and girls, 67 of them in all. Our last Cadet Commander was a girl.

Every Wing and Squadron has their own personalities so check out a few squadrons in your area to find the best fit. Many squadrons do not have airplanes or any flight activities. Some are heavily into community service, some are part of Middle School activities for Cadets, some are heavy into flying, and some are heavy into emergency services.

So yes, it's a great activity to be in while both building and flying your RV.

Next weekend....the Air Force evaluated Search & Rescure exercise. Lots of fun and great training with real life scenarios.

WB4GEC

WB4GEC... Got my Novice license in 1968 after someone gave my grandmother a Heath DX-60 and a Gonset G-63 receiver to pay off their bar bill. Took my General and Advanced tests (and 1st Class Phone) at the FCC's office in Tampa. HF CW and RTTY were my favorite modes. Operated Navy MARS (N0KWR) during Vietnam.

It was another ham radio op that took me on my first airplane ride in 1969. I went on to get my PPSEL certificate in 1971. Always had an interest in CAP but never took the first step.

Well I took the first step last night and sent off for the info pack, and discovered that the local CAP outfit meets just two miles from my house (I live under the outbound flight path of Montgomery Field here in San Diego). Looks like I'll be getting involved here shortly...

Capflyer said:
Every Wing and Squadron has their own personalities so check out a few squadrons in your area to find the best fit. Many squadrons do not have airplanes or any flight activities. Some are heavily into community service, some are part of Middle School activities for Cadets, some are heavy into flying, and some are heavy into emergency services.
ABSOLUTELY. Some squadrons (and wings) really aren't into flying and/or getting anyone new into SAR operations. Some are. Visit them several times before you decide to join.

Baja_Traveler said:
Well I took the first step last night and sent off for the info pack, and discovered that the local CAP outfit meets just two miles from my house (I live under the outbound flight path of Montgomery Field here in San Diego). Looks like I'll be getting involved here shortly...

Good for you! Glad you'll be checking us out. This thread has not been in vain. There is a bunch of preliminary training and paperwork to be resolved and a simple uniform to purchase but after that you are all set.

One of the cooler little tricks you can get to do in CAP is fly a 172 into a class B airport... departing the local field you tell tower that you will be departing VFR for DTW, and they come back with "Can you do that?... OK, well, I guess you can do that."

--REK

Ralph Kramden said:
One of the cooler little tricks you can get to do in CAP is fly a 172 into a class B airport... departing the local field you tell tower that you will be departing VFR for DTW, and they come back with "Can you do that?... OK, well, I guess you can do that."

--REK

Yup, we even keep one of our planes at BWI. It's always a blast to fly in and out of there. You even get a van ride from Signature to and from the plane...no walking allowed.