videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
I am working on a portable towbar, something small and light enough to carry on xc trips. The heads on my nose gear wheel pant bolts (the one's you use to attach the towbar) are out almost flush with the wheel pants. Since I am considering making a few of these, I would like to know how many of you have done that, or are yours deeply recessed?

Also, while you are at it, do you carry a tow bar on xc's, and would you if it were small and light enough? How's that for a scientific market survey?

Bob Kelly

Bob, I worked with Rich Bogert on the improvements to his towbar design, specifically, the snap-back of the spreader bar and the bushing extensions of the hex screws used to attach the tow bar to the nosewheel.

In my experience, the extension bushings and screws are a necessity and must be provided with every tow bar to prevent damage to the wheel pants.

I also provided some advice to Rich that I will provide to you: make fork extensions so that the towbar can be inserted into the brake pedals, a clamp/collar to secure the control stick, and a telescoping handle to wedge it all into place between the seat and brake pedals.

Now you have a control lock that locks all of the control surfaces and applies the brakes! Works for overnights and short stays.

Vern

Towbar

Carry it whenever you go out of sight of home field or plan on landing at any other airport.

Venon, great idea.

vlittle said:
Bob, I worked with Rich Bogert on the improvements to his towbar design, specifically, the snap-back of the spreader bar and the bushing extensions of the hex screws used to attach the tow bar to the nosewheel.

In my experience, the extension bushings and screws are a necessity and must be provided with every tow bar to prevent damage to the wheel pants.

I also provided some advice to Rich that I will provide to you: make fork extensions so that the towbar can be inserted into the brake pedals, a clamp/collar to secure the control stick, and a telescoping handle to wedge it all into place between the seat and brake pedals.

Now you have a control lock that locks all of the control surfaces and applies the brakes! Works for overnights and short stays.

Vern
How do I contact Rich and when will the improved bar be ready for sale?

Light weight tow bar

I have a very nice light weight traveling tow bar for my 6A made by Ken Barto in Liverpool NY. It was purchased in Jan. 03. Not sure if he still makes them. It works so well I was soon using it around the hangar too. Ken's email address was [email protected]