cjensen

Well Known Member
If my build ends up heavy for *whatever* reason at say 1200 #'s, and I weigh 175, will it fly the same as someone with an 1100 pound airplane who weigh's in at 275, when flown solo? What about when both are flown at gross?

This has nothing to do with engine choice, paint, interior, etc...it's just a pondering thought.

Thoughts???

I think your reasoning is very close to correct, all things being equal (i.e. same balance). I think of it in terms of gallons of fuel...

My ideal weight is around 200lbs. I went on a diet when I got up to around 220lbs. That's about 3 gallons. So far, I've lost about 1/2 a gallon. 2 1/2 gallons to go...

There will be differences because of how the weight is distributed but really, none of us is Sean Tucker and you'd probably be hard pressed to notice I'm guessing. For example, in a side by side if you weigh 275, the plane's going to have a more inertia about the roll axis (rotational inerita, moment of inertia...take your pick) than if the weight were concentrated in, say, the engine (or just about anywhere on the centerline). I know I probably wouldn't notice...

edit: so the corollary to this (and this is just an example) is a 1100lb plane with a 275lb pilot will probably feel slightly lighter on the controls than a 1200lb plane with a 100lb paint job and a 175lb pilot.

Last edited: