KNicholas2

I'm New Here
I have been flying with ForeFlight and a Stratus 1 for several years. It really is pretty cool. When I ordered the Stratus 1 from Sporty's I specifically asked if the Version 2 would be released soon. I was told "no". Only two weeks later the Stratus 2 was released.

Sporty's just flat out lied to me. I asked if they would take my S1 back for (partial?) credit for the S2. No.

Sadly, I do not trust Sporty's to tell me if a Status 3 is on the horizon. I would like to upgrade my Stratus but do not want to get into the same trap.

Does anyone have any idea if or when they will be releasing a Stratus 3?

Regards,

Kim Nicholas
Auburn, WA

Have you taken a look at the stratux project? I just bought the kit and it works perfectly for about $200.

https://www.openflightsolutions.com/ Is the kit I went with.

Shannon

Have been using a Stratus 2 for maybe 3-years. A friend purchased the $250 version above and it worked as well as my Stratus 2 when I tested it. The only thing that I know my Stratus 2 had that the above did not was a built in battery.

Its pretty easy to figure out... when the new Stratus 2S was getting ready to launch, I was in the market to purchase my first one. The Stratus units were out of stock basically everywhere online. THAT'S when you know a new version is on its way...

When this happened, I sent an email to their tech support and specifically asked if a new version was coming out and was told, "We can neither confirm or deny that a new one is on the way". That's pretty much engineering speak for "Yes".

People often talk about the DIY stratux... Question: does the DIY version have an AHRS? The ability to throw an AH on my tablet or phone is a huge requirement for me.

Michael,
As of today, they do not. They have the hardware component figured out and are working on the software side. One of the wonderful details of this system is it's ability to be upgraded, since it is just a raspberry pi with USB attached components.

Even though I have ADSB in/out built in, I built this kit because I am just a gadget guy. I love to tinker. It took me all of 10 minutes to get it up and running out of the box.

Shannon

DIfferences?

So... other than lacking ADHRS (which appears to be coming soon) and lack of an internal battery, what is the substantive difference between the Flightbox and the Stratus 2S? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Kim Nicholas
S50

So... other than lacking ADHRS (which appears to be coming soon) and lack of an internal battery, what is the substantive difference between the Flightbox and the Stratus 2S? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Kim Nicholas
S50

There is none as far as I can tell. As for the battery issue, I used a portable battery pack like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...ble battery&qid=1464192066&ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5

It has the added benefit of being able to charge my phone/Ipad too!!!

Oh and you can upgrade the hardware with minimal cost or effort instead of having to purchase the next version.

Shannon

I have been flying with ForeFlight and a Stratus 1 for several years. It really is pretty cool. When I ordered the Stratus 1 from Sporty's I specifically asked if the Version 2 would be released soon. I was told "no". Only two weeks later the Stratus 2 was released.

Sporty's just flat out lied to me. I asked if they would take my S1 back for (partial?) credit for the S2. No.

Sadly, I do not trust Sporty's to tell me if a Status 3 is on the horizon. I would like to upgrade my Stratus but do not want to get into the same trap.

Does anyone have any idea if or when they will be releasing a Stratus 3?

Regards,

Kim Nicholas
Auburn, WA

It's a bit much to say Sporty's lied to you. The people who answer the phone are unlikely to be involved in product development; they find out about new products at the same time we do. OTOH, you bought portable avionics two weeks before Sun-n-Fun. Your predicament was kind of predicable.

Right now, we're two months from OSH. This might not be the wisest time to buy a Stratus 2S.

But a 2S doesn't suddenly become junk just because a 3 comes out. After a 3 is announced, a 2S will have all of the capability it had the day before. It'll probably be worth a couple hundred dollars less in resale, but that would depend largely on the cost of the 3. And if you really must have the 3 when it's new, buy one, come to VAF, and type, "FS: Stratus 2S."