scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
IMG_1711.JPG

You may or may not know that I've been entertaining myself quite intermittently with the fabrication of the rollbar and other bracketry for my -8 fastback project. Yes, I've been really savoring some of the non-RV specific details with the intent of building some new re-usable skills as opposed to just cranking out another RV. So, being a reasonably skilled oxy-acetlyne welder, it was obviously time to learn to TIG weld. I started down this path a couple of years ago. I intended to be prepared to bank my life on it. Hey, no big deal, we build airplanes in our garage for goodness sake! You can read "slow" instead of "savoring" if you like, but we're still consistently cranking out well over 200hrs/yr flying the award winning RV in the hangar.

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

Preparation, practice, and what I often tell people "...this part is nothing but an art project...", the parts started to come together. It isn't perfect as I am absolutely not building a show piece. In fact, ultimately, I intend to wear the thing out flying formation in the same way as we are the flying -9. However, in this little exercise, the rollbar, its fit, and welds tell a story of its relationship with its creator. We've come a long way. With its six, not so simple, structural joints, and a couple other bracket attachments, I am quite pleased with the creation. Nothing to hide. As of today, it is complete and I can answer for each and every 1/4" of weld. Obviously my memory with rapidly fade with time as I commit to other minor obsessions.

IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

The final "paint" of this part follows the long standing theme of this project. Just a nice coat of green epoxy primer (Akzo) so as not to cover up anything for those that want to see, and so that I can more easily savor the experience and joy of building long after completion. Disclaimer: This only applies to the interior. This airplane WILL have a shiny painted exterior, probably something simple, bright and flashy. Maybe with formation reference targets painted on it! :)

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

But wait, there is more. So, I went on this journey of joining 4130 steel tubing. That is done with great precision and shear beauty in many industries. You 'could' loose months of time of study and exploration of how it is 'really' done. Of course, I did. Luckily, I only have to make myself happy. But how to rapidly make up small practice samples very quickly. I have no idea how many of these joints I made up and stuck together over the last couple of years, but it was a whole lot. Really, my aim was just for adequate. A nice rigid tubing fishmouth jig has been a joy to use (JMR). It is as rock solid now as it was hundreds of cuts ago. I couldn't imagine having to make up test samples by hand, although most of the real parts were indeed fitted with nothing more than a vertical knee mill for the rough cuts and a rotary burr by hand for final fitment. I can never pass up a new tool to explore on the current project with an eye on the next project.

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

No, this is not all I've been doing, by far. I've been on a similar bus with exploring fiberglass surface finish as well. That is a conversation for another day. "Hey, Tanya, do you want to come out to the garage and help stir this gallon of high build primer?" "Yes, of course, but let me change, because I'm going to get it all over." "Ok, I'll be out there." Relationships are built in all kinds of ways.

Scott, great looking work on the roll bar.

You done good for a first try----really good.

Really helps to to have the right tools :D

Rollbar Upper Rounded Portion

Beautiful job. Did you purchase the upper rounded portion of tubing pre-formed or did you do the bend it yourself? What wall thickness did you choose?

Regards, Hawkeye

Good work Scott. I love your attitude.

Everyone, please be aware the brace design you see here is not optimum. It's based one I did, which was in turn based on FEA done by a qualified engineer. "Optimum" means an ability to withstand some really severe crash assumptions. This design is way, way better than the addition of the big hoop without the two brace legs. It's not as good as the best possible new design, which would replace the Vans crossbar with an integrated crossbar/rollbar assembly configured for the loads.

The hoop is standard stuff from Showplanes. It is some big honking stuff, if I remember correctly .065. My concept is lie, cheat, and steal from Dan wherever I can. No need to try to build a rocket ship, I'm just building a flying machine :). I didn't stay at a holiday inn express, but I did suffer through many years of a mechanical engineering degree.

This is a great post, Scott, and to me speaks to why so many people build and create things - not only airplanes. While I bought my 7A (needed/wanted to fly an RV now), I have a strong desire to build and, for now, live vicariously through many on this board. At some point -hopefully not more than 3 years - time, location, and money will all combine to allow me to begin a project while still having the satisfaction of keeping and continuing to fly my 7A.

I recently refinished a couple of old, weather-beaten, wooden patio chairs. My wife thought I was crazy spending several weekends in my hot garage getting covered in saw dust vs. 'just buying' some new ones. See doesn't quite understand how I can gain so much satisfaction spending time working in my garage:D Plus, I have the satisfaction of seeing those chairs everytime I go out on our back porch, and seeing how they look better (and are put together better) than new. Can't imagine that satisfaction coming from flying something I built!!

Last edited: