Fallguy

What do you call it when all I can do is think about building/flying my own plane? Every day, I check here and other internet sources for RV updates and news before I watch TV or anything else.

Answer: Time to get building. Yeah. That makes sense.

We are blessed by location; we live only 40 miles from Van's. I went down there today and butt tested both the 7a and 8a. Oh...and the 10(a).

How do you pick your favorite Ben and Jerry's; or Stooge; or airplane. Each would fit a prospective mission.

I love the 8a for it's fighter feel and the bubba room. But...my little girl will probably still be only 6 when it first leaves the ground together and intentionally (she currently can't see out the back of the 8 except for up)

Heck I don't know. My wife and I and little Sarah plan to go down there again tomorrow. I am so excited about starting the fun/nightmare that I almost think there is no bad decision.

Anyone have any thoughts on which has better resale or if that should even matter?

Oh, and when I mentioned how cool the 10 would be for cross country family stuff, she recommended that we (she used that word) start with a two seater. oh, yeah, I married the right girl.

Seeya Guys (and Gals),

ps Mr. Checkoway, your site has been such an inspiration to me. Thanks. Your videos captivate my 3 year old. This weekend at the 105 pancake breakfast, she kept telling everyone she wanted to build an airplane.

Last edited:
Welcome to the RV addiction

Welcome Fallguy.

You are correct, there are no bad choices.

You are in the initial phase of decision making. Nosewheel v tailwheel, fixed pitch v C/S, tandem or side by side, VFR/IFR, engine choices and a gazillion other decisions. You will learn about the primer wars later.

The nosewheel v tailwheel debate is an endless one, and both sides make good points. It seems that you have decided to go with the nosewheel. You asked about resale value. Let me make the observation, perhaps others would not agree, that a nosewheel aircraft would be marketable to a wider range of pilots than a tailwheel aircraft. Your insurance company would also treat you better.

I am building an 8A, so I have some built in prejudice for that model. I have nothing against tail draggers, I own and fly a Taylorcraft L2 (tailwheel). I also like the tandem seating. Your wife may not agree. It seems that most wives prefer the side by side models. Actually, the wife will find that she has more room, and will be more comfortable, in the back of an 8 than beside you in a side by side model. If your wife is OK with the tandem, you are one lucky man.

Put seat cushions under your little one until she outgrows them.

Whatever RV you choose to build, you will have made a good choice. You will find that this website is a HUGE help in making your decisions, and in the building process. I benefit greatly from the advice and experience of fellow RV builders and pilots who share their knowledge here. You will also.

Welcome to the club.