videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
I probably shouldn't post this, but I feel I must. Up front, I am a hopeless romantic and perhaps too sentimental, but the events of today make me believe I may have done a Good Thing. Perhaps if I share it, you can, too.

When I began to build, I wanted to give my airplane special meaning, and I also wanted some extra motivation. I dedicated it to the memory of my father, a wonderful man whose training gave me the skills I needed for the project, and to a dear friend who was shot down in Viet Nam. Bill was a Captain America to all who knew him.

On the occasion of Bill's sister's death, I figured I might meet his son. I saw him when he was a few weeks old and again just after his 18th birthday when I got his permission to use his father's name on a scholarship. He was there. We talked for a few moments and I pulled out the "baby pictures" of my 9A. The second picture was for him, a shot of the "In Memory of..." on the canopy. We both shed a tear or two and I had an instant friend. He has a reserved seat after the 40 hours are done, and I couldn't feel better.

If you know of someone deserving of recognition, consider your 200mph billboard. You might get to experience one of those all-to-seldom Good Things like I did tonight.

Bob Kelly

If you know of someone deserving of recognition, consider your 200mph billboard. You might get to experience one of those all-to-seldom Good Things like I did tonight.

Bob Kelly[/QUOTE]

My RV8QB, in construction, will be named "Uncle Hank".
Uncle Hank passed away, a couple years ago.
He gave me my first plane ride in an old Taylorcraft when I was just a little boy. That ride is still fresh in my memory and probably has something to do with me building a plane today, at 63!

You guys would love Uncle Hank. He loved guns, planes, cars, motorcycles and good "stories". He was a master craftsman in anything he did. He had an endearing sense of humor that just made people love him....especially the ladies!

Thank God I got to spend some time with him in his last days.
He had an almost completed Flybaby in the garage.
We would sneak out there, light a stogie, and just chat. I wouldn't take anything for that time with him.

The Flybaby was sold to a local fellow. He sent me an invitation to fly it when he finishes it. Lord willing, I'll take him up on that.

Roy C Lewis Jr
RV8QB
Lyc AEIO-390
Catto 3
Dual GRT
Jax, Fl

Last edited: