Veetail88

Well Known Member
25 hours into phase 1, my landings have gotten to be consistently, “OK”. But generally speaking, every time I see an airplane holding short or within sight of my performance, the quality of the landings seem to be something quite less than pretty. In fact, they generally include a good bounce or three and a fair amount of swerving around.

Yesterday was a bit different though. Low ceilings kept me from the accelerated stalls I wanted to work on, but I decided to go flying for no other reason than “because I could”.

Following a quick hop over to Burlington for cheap fuel and an hour of strafing runs on the ice fishermen on the nearby lakes, (pretty sure my kill tally was pretty high) I returned to 57C for a few touch and gos.

After a few circuits in the pattern with an R44 and a light sport for which I had to lengthen my downwind considerably, I decided to call it a day and announced “East Troy traffic, silver RV turning left base for two six, full stop”.

With my typical rather high final coming to an end, I found myself with a pretty high sink rate, pulled back on the stick a bit too much, pushed forward a bit and gave her a little squirt of power.

That was it! The mains just rolled on! A little push to pin it and I found myself with maybe my best landing ever! No bounce, no bump, nothing but feeling the wheels spin up!

Two seconds later, I hear over the radio, “Nice wheel landing!” A turn of my head revealed a C180 taxiing the other way. I managed a quick “why thank you” in reply while concentrating on the task at hand; I wasn't quite done flying the airplane yet! Nice straight roll out and back to the hanger.
What a BLAST!

This airplane is more fun than I’d even imagined!
While I never doubted all the others that came before repeating the mantra, “Keep pounding those rivets, it’s all worth it”, I must admit, it certainly is!
With 15 hours left in phase 1, I still have to push the weight and balance out to the corners of the envelope and I’d also like to fly it to Vne (a knot or two at a time) before I’m done.

Can’t wait for phase 2 so I can share the fun!

Last edited:
The -12 loves to fly about a foot above the runway, full flaps, just a little power will keep it there. You can get good greaser practice that way.

Greaser

I have 12 landings in mine so far , it's a pussy cat compared to the BiPlanes and T-18 Thorp ! A little power helps keep the tail up . I look forward to playing with different landings when the engine is broken in .
The speed range is amazing , flew formation with a J3 cub and can go over 200 knots at will .

Jesse, try to work on touching down with the upwind wheel down first. Even when the winds are light. You will see a remarkably dramatic improvement in your landings. As you work on it, get more and more aileron into it so that you are rolling for at least some length down the runway on one wheel.

Thrilled that you are doing well with the plane. I really did have a lot of confidence in you. :)

That was it! The mains just rolled on! A little push to pin it and I found myself with maybe my best landing ever! No bounce, no bump, nothing but feeling the wheels spin up!

Yeah - that never happens when somebodies watching...

As Bill says, try flying down the length of the runway with just enough power to be 1' off and not land. A few of those and it will click...

A month or so ago I was flying circuits at Cessnock after an aborted cross-country and a student was following us around the pattern in a 152, -UNX.

After I was turning final, the instructor of the 152 announced he was hopping out and sending the student for his first solo. We did a touch and go and he followed us airborne. As we turn crosswind on the next circuit, the 152 is down, in one piece :p and turning off the runway, prompting me to key the mike and say Uniform November Xray, congratulations, sir.. Several other pilots on frequency also offered their support and two commented on the good quality of the landing.

A nice warm and fuzzy moment, but we all remember our first solo! Even more so if you can pull a good landing out of the hat in front of spectators. :D