RFazio

Well Known Member
I'm at 35 hours in testing my RV-6. All goes well and I'm looking forward to hitting the 40 hour mark. What I haven't done yet is the aerobatic testing. My question is do you need to complete that during the initial 40 hours? Or can you do it at any time and then just add the aerobatic statement in your aircraft log when completed? Or maybe I have to not sign it off untill I complete the aerobatic portion even if it goes past the 40 hour mark? Thanks in advance for any input.

Richard,
There should be a paragraph in your operating limitations that allows you to place the aircraft back into phase I at a later time. This can be used for aerobatic testing. You simply put the aircraft back into phase I in accordance with your op lims and go.

Last edited:
Mel is right, and I would like to add one other point. I have had some builders make the comment that they will do the aerobatic portion after Phase I so that they can take a flight instructor with them. That is not legal. You can not perform any aerobatic maneuver outside of Phase I that has not been documented in the logbook. Your limitations should have the statement that you are supposed to use to document them.

Vic

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the info. That's pretty simple and it makes sense to do it that way. I just want to wait untill I feel more comfortable it the plane. I've got some training and I used to do aerobatics in my first plane, a Rans S-10.

Phase I Aerobatics Testing

I also have a few questions for the DARs regarding this. I understand that you need to perform all the aerobatic maneuvers you intend to ever perform in phase II. Two questions regarding this:

1) Would the basic maneuvers of a roll, loop, hammerhead, and spin allow you to still perform a immelman in phase II since it is basically a half loop with a roll on top? Would a split S be allowed since it is roll into the top of a loop then a pull down through the end of the loop? Just trying to figure out which maneuvers I need to make sure I perform and log in phase I to be able to cover all the basis of what the RV can do.

2) After your 40 hours and phase I is completed if you have the airplane put back in phase I to complete the aerobatic maneuvers that were not originally completed in phase I, would it be for the entire 40 hours again?

Thanks for any input.

1) Would the basic maneuvers of a roll, loop, hammerhead, and spin allow you to still perform a immelman in phase II since it is basically a half loop with a roll on top? Would a split S be allowed since it is roll into the top of a loop then a pull down through the end of the loop? Just trying to figure out which maneuvers I need to make sure I perform and log in phase I to be able to cover all the basis of what the RV can do.

Yes, I think this would suffice.

2) After your 40 hours and phase I is completed if you have the airplane put back in phase I to complete the aerobatic maneuvers that were not originally completed in phase I, would it be for the entire 40 hours again?

No. Just back into Phase I for one flight if that is all it takes. Realistically, it might take a couple of flights to fly the maneuvers at different weights and CG's.

Vic

I also have a few questions for the DARs regarding this. I understand that you need to perform all the aerobatic maneuvers you intend to ever perform in phase II. Two questions regarding this:

No. Each maneuver must be list individually. Be specific; i.e. aileron rolls, left; aileron rolls, right; 2 turn spins, left; 2 turn spins right, etc.

No/Maybe. Your operating limitations should state that when you place the aircraft back into phase I, it must be for a minimum of 5 hrs. However this paragraph is basically used for modifications, so from a practical standpoint, one or two flights should be sufficient. After the testing is complete, you will use the original statement that you used the first time you came out of phase I.

Thanks for any input.
This is the guidance I've been given by the head honchos in Ok City.

Last edited:
I went through this discussion with my local FSDO last week in getting my Phase II operating limitations issued after completing my Phase I test period (policy of local FSDO is that they won't issue both Phase I and Phase II O.L.'s on initial airworthiness inspection).
He wanted to put the "no aerobatics allowed" limitation (para 15 in the FAA 8130 instruction) in my operating limitations since I didn't do any aerobatic maneuvers during initial Phase I. I knew this wasn't right so pulled some documentation off the EAA web site, discussed it with the FSDO and after he made some calls he agreed; basically got the info Mel stated in his post and my O.L. reads as it should. So if you are using your local FSDO, you may have to explain a little but can get what you should have.

I referenced the info below off the EAA web site. These are the two possible operating limitations relating to aerobatics that can be placed in your O.L. and the EAA position on when each should be used:

From EAA web site http://members.eaa.org/home/govt/issues/samateur_built_operating.asp:

(15) This aircraft is prohibited from aerobatic flight; i.e., an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in the aircraft's attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration not necessary for normal flight.

EAA Position: If at the time of the initial aircraft certification inspection you tell the FAA Inspector or DAR that your aircraft is not designed, constructed or capable of aerobatic flight, then you will receive this limitation. If not, see the following limitation.

(16) This aircraft may conduct aerobatic flight in accordance with the provisions of ? 91.303. Aerobatics shall not be attempted until sufficient flight experience has been gained to establish that the aircraft is satisfactorily controllable and in compliance with ? 91.319(b). The aircraft may only conduct those aerobatic flight maneuvers that have been satisfactorily accomplished during flight testing and recorded in the aircraft maintenance records by use of the following or a similarly worded statement: "I certify that the following aerobatic maneuvers have been test flown and the aircraft is controllable throughout the maneuver's normal range of speeds and is safe for operation. The flight tested aerobatics maneuvers are: ____________, ____________, ____________, and ____________."

EAA Position: If at the time of the initial aircraft certification inspection you tell the FAA Inspector or DAR that your aircraft is designed, constructed and capable of aerobatic flight, then you will receive this limitation. As this limitation states, you are not authorized to attempt aerobatic maneuvers until you have "proven" them safe per FAR 91.319(b) while in a test flight phase. EAA strongly recommends that you do not perform these tests during the initial 10, 25 or 40 hour test flight period noted in limitation b(3), above. The initial test flight period is designed to allow you sufficient time to prove the aircraft is capable of normal flight. Once you have met all other test flight requirement, then move into this phase. NOTE: FAR 91.305, FAR 91.303, and the other above mentioned test flight limitations apply during these flight tests. Also, you should not attempt aerobatics or violent maneuvers until sufficient flight experience has been gained to establish that the aircraft is satisfactorily controllable. During continuation phase (Phase II) you may only perform those aerobatic maneuvers which you have completed during this test flight phase and have been recorded per the required logbook entry. This does not mean that you are forever limited to only those maneuvers initially recorded, because at any time you can place yourself back into this test flight program and add additional aerobatic maneuvers. As with any portion of your test flight phase, a FAA Inspector or DAR may request to witness aerobatic maneuvers if he/she deem it necessary.

test pilot

One option to consider is to have someone that is qualified to fly aerobatics do that part of the testing during your Phase I period.