Hack

I am looking down the barrel of the possibility that I might have to sell my -4 in a couple years. With that in mind I am trying to stage myself through some upgrades that I might make to make it easier to sell. I fully understand I will not get all of the investment back, but I would like your opinion on what things you think would make it sell better. The goal is not to make it the best in the fleet, but to make it a good solid buy. I have $50K in it.

Mid time O-320 ,fixed pitch , 3 blade Catto
Round dials mostly, with electronic 4 cyl CHT/EGT, Oil Press/Temp, GPS
Home made seats (pretty uncomfortable)
8.5 paint, 7.0 interior

Thanks for your advice.

hack

I am looking down the barrel of the possibility that I might have to sell my -4 in a couple years. With that in mind I am trying to stage myself through some upgrades that I might make to make it easier to sell. I fully understand I will not get all of the investment back, but I would like your opinion on what things you think would make it sell better. The goal is not to make it the best in the fleet, but to make it a good solid buy. I have $50K in it.

Mid time O-320 ,fixed pitch , 3 blade Catto
Round dials mostly, with electronic 4 cyl CHT/EGT, Oil Press/Temp, GPS
Home made seats (pretty uncomfortable)
8.5 paint, 7.0 interior

Thanks for your advice.

hack

Hack,
It sounds like a nice solid $50K-ish machine as is. As long as the engine is sound, just make sure it has fresh oil and filter, and that the engine compartment is reasonably clean. It's a turn-off to lift the hood and see 50 layers of crud all over everything. I'd also make sure there were no nicks or dings in the prop.

I wouldn't do any panel work...it'll cost more than you'd ever get out of it, so let the next owner make that call. I might spiff up the interior a bit, clean all the nooks and crannies, check the condition of the seat covering materials (assuming they're home made too) and repair as required, touch up the paint, little IRAN type stuff. If you want a splurge item, check and recondition the vacuum system and replace all the vacuum lines. It'll be a selling point that the vacuum system is good to go for the foreseeable future (until the next owner makes that panel upgrade decision). Then I'd put a reasonable price on it and wait for the right buyer.

Sorry to hear you're staring at the business end of the gun. Best wishes for you going forward!

Last edited:
I'd definitely look at upgrading the seats.... nice seats and a clean interior really make a difference