ddurakovich

Well Known Member
I've rebuilt an O-360-A1D, lots of new parts, reasonably good records, with 8130's and yellow tags as needed. I have all the logs since new.

All AD's and most (if not all) of the Lyc. SB's have been complied with.

I understand that having an A&P sign off the overhaul is not needed, and may only be of concern if I decide to sell the engine off back into a certified situation.

I will not be in a situation of an approved engine/prop combination, so that is not a concern.

My question is: If I don't have the engine signed of by an A&P, does it automatically become experimental, requiring a new data plate?

While it's not necessarily a big deal, I'm thinking that there may be some value to having a certified engine in the plane if I ever decide to sell it.

I did too

Hi Dave,
I overhauled my A1B 0-360 and couldn't find an A@P to sign it off so the DAR refused to issue my cert to fly. I found out later that all I needed to do was to replace the data plate and give it a new name and serial number and sign the engine logbook myself, detailing everything that I did and, voila, a Smith/Morgan 0-360 was born, now an "Experimental" engine, same serial # as Van's for the airplane. As far as it ever going back on a certified airplane.....that's for the next owner to worry about if I ever sell it.

ps. If you carefully pull the four little "nails" that hold the data plate on, it can be re-engraved on the other side... ;) and those little nails can be re-used.

Regards,

I was afraid that would be the answer, and again, I guess it's not a really big deal, but.....

I may have someone to sign it off, just not sure yet (been a cold winter here, people not hanging around the airport like they usually do!).

The curious thing about that is if I start with a certified (even a brand spanking new) engine, won't that certification go away the first time I do anything to it not typically allowed if it were in a spam can? In fact, the action of installing it in and of itself might be sufficient to kill the certified status. At that point do you need to convert it to Experimental and change the data plate?

Just another one of lifes little mysteries :D

Dave,

Whether you have an A&P sign-off on the engine, or not, once it is hung onto an experimental aircraft, the engine is no longer certified. You can no longer remove the engine and hang it on a certified aircraft. I cannot remember what has to be done to the engine in order to be recertified. It's on the EAA website somewhere, but I cannot find it now.

Tracy.

This is from the EAA website under:

Rules and Regulations of Airplane Building

Normal maintenance on an experimental airplane can be performed virtually by anyone regardless of credentials. Once again, this does not apply to the condition check previously discussed. You can perform maintenance items on the engine whether or not it is "certified". Once a certified engine is placed on an amateur-built aircraft and is operated, it no longer conforms to its type design. This means that the engine can no longer be placed on any aircraft other than an amateur-built until it has been inspected and found to meet its type design. It also must be found to be in a condition for safe operation "airworthy". Once again, common sense should rule. We do not want to overhaul an engine on our airplane unless we are equipped to do so with tools and proper knowledge.

Tracy.