chepburn

Well Known Member
It is with great pride, and also poignancy, that I have to bid my builder helper, friend, and son, Ben, farewell as he moves on to university in another province. I cannot thank him enough, and I cannot recommend to others enough, how fantastic it is to spend your time working together building a plane. Especially an RV!
Over the last 3? years, my only regret is I didn?t start the RV8 about 12 months earlier!!!
To all you builders out there with kids old enough to help you, let ?em! It?s a lot of fun, and how many teenage kids willingly want to spend time with their parents these days?

Thanks Ben. It?s going to be a better airplane because of you.

Dad

P.S. It?s going to be fun picking him up in the plane in 2010 (or so)

Here are some pictures from the log....

Running away from the camera in early 2007...
ben1.jpg

Finished the bottom skins mid 2007....
ben2.jpg

A canoe in early 2009!!!!
ben3.jpg

Glad its not me in there!! (just last weekend)
ben4.jpg

Great times!

Congratulations on getting your son involved in the building process. He'll have just as much pride in your plane as you have.

My son helped me build my first airplane, which I started building when he was only five years old, and then helped me build my RV-7, which I started when he was thirteen years old.

He's getting ready to get his driver's license, and I'm moving my plane to the airport this week for final assembly.

6176_1211486411905_1371100627_621636_5325347_n.jpg
Sometimes he's pretty goofy, but always fun to have around the shop.

6176_1211489611985_1371100627_621646_6629957_n.jpg
He also "adopted" my rudder for a High School project, where he had to learn to do something new. He prepped, primed, and painted the rudder (with a little help and guidance from me).