cbennet1

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I am getting close to buying a RV6 to keep me busy while I build. :)

I've seen numerous posts indicating that an autopilot is a must have for IFR flying. That makes sense to me for extended IFR - particularly in IMC. How about for busting out of a layer or shooting approaches? That is the extent of my real IMC flying.

Thanks,
Craig

Hi All,

I am getting close to buying a RV6 to keep me busy while I build. :)

I've seen numerous posts indicating that an autopilot is a must have for IFR flying. That makes sense to me for extended IFR - particularly in IMC. How about for busting out of a layer or shooting approaches? That is the extent of my real IMC flying.

Thanks,
Craig

The autopilots are nice to have seeing since the RV's are so "touchy" due to the pushrods... add that to zero vis and it can be a handfull on top of an already high work load situation. The AP helps keep the plane situated so you can work on the other stuff. If you're doing any kind of IMC in an RV, I'd have an A/P. And with the price of non-TSO'd autopilots, why not deck it out? Its only money!!! :D That being said I must say, its much more fun to spend other peoples money. :D ;)

The A/P is a very nice tool to have even for VFR flying for long x-country, and it certainly will take much of the load off during IMC. Not to mention that it can be as a back up device for emergancy situation speically in IMC condition.

I've flown light IMC without the AP no problem. Wouldn't recommend it for turbulence or down to minimums though.

Get the Autopilot

Before we built the RV-6A I flew our Archer II in IMC for 20 years and never used the autopilot so I didn't think I would need one for the RV-6A. I flew our RV-6A in serious IMC for a year before I installed a TruTrak Pictorial Pilot and Altrac altitude hold. It was doable but definitely not fun and if you get a difficult controller it can really suck in your drawers.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
This is a difficult question.....

.......to answer fairly. We have no idea of your skills, total IMC flight time...highly experienced in IMC, or a fresh license? Total RV flight time?

I've flown my -6 up and down through overcasts manually and had to concentrate like crazy,.... it's doable, but demanding, because of their quick response and near lack of roll stability.

One guy is going to say, "No way", while another is going to say..."Yeah, I fly mine to minimums all the time" and both could be telling the truth.

The thing for you to do is to fly the RV of your choice first, then try the same airplane under the hood and you'll be able to decide if it's for you or not (hand-flying IFR),

Best,