fehdxl

Well Known Member
I hope there is an answer here and I'm not opening Pandora?s box...

I understand that there are three parts to becoming an A&P mechanic: knowledge, experience, and skill. Can the experience of building an experimental count towards the experience required for an airframe and/or powerplant mechanic certificate as required by 14 CFR 65.77?

Also, FAA Order 8300.10, Chapter 22 , paragraph 9, section G say?s: ?Applicants who have not graduated from an FAA-approved AMTS must present documents from an employer, co-worker, or other sources satisfactory to the Administrator to establish the required record of time and experience.? What does this really mean with respect to building an experimental? If an A&P signs my builder?s log as providing supervision, is that considered ?other sources satisfactory?? ?

Also, I?ll include this information for reference.
FAA Order 8300.10, Chapter 22 , paragraph 9, section E,
?In evaluating part-time practical aviation mechanic experience, an equivalent of 18 months (or 30 months) based on a standard 40-hour work week is acceptable. The months need not be consecutive. A standard work week has 8 hours per day for 5 days per week, thus totaling 40 hours per week and approximately 160 hours per month? To help with the math, 18 months * 40 hrs/wk * 4 wks/month = 2,880 hours; 30 months = 4,800 hours).

Thanks in advance for your time!

-Jim
o=\o

Re: A&P experience credit

Jim,
Without me researching the regulations let me tell you how I think it is.

You asked "Can the experience of building an experimental count towards the experience required for an airframe and/or powerplant mechanic certificate as required by 14 CFR 65.77? "

I think the answer here is YES. It will count towards the required experience.
The next question would be, will it be enough by itself? I don't think so.

You asked "What does this really mean with respect to building an experimental? If an A&P signs my builder?s log as providing supervision, is that considered ?other sources satisfactory?? ?"

The answer here is YES. Working under an A&P's supervision is "experience gained".

Have you looked at http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/mechanics.cfm ?

I'm an A&P but haven't worked as one for about 15 years. I was an IA for a few years before I got out of that line of work.
One thing that made me want to reply to your post is that I recently had a question about my A&P license and it's currency requirements. According to the regs you must have worked 6 out of the last 24 months as an A&P to be current. I wondered like you, If building an experimental would meet the requirements I needed. So, I contacted the local FAA office by email. The answer I got from one of the Aviation Safety Inspectors was and I quote " I don't have a problem with that". So, I'm good to go.

Since it appears that one of your goals is to get your A&P my advice to you is to contact your local FAA office and ask questions. They'll tell you your options.

Mark

I'll answer just out of interest but it probably won't effect you.
I am a licenced avionics engineer in Australia. I asked the CASA (our equivalent of the FAA) about using time building an RV as experience towards an airframe licence.
Now I know Australia and the US have different regulations but this is what I was told.
Officially no the experience does not count because the time collected should be "maintanece" based not manufacturing. However the surveyor I spoke to said I should count some of the time as if it were him doing the test he would allow it. Not everything would count but items such as rigging of flight controls etc would count.
So there you go for what its worth.
I'll be using a fair bit of time as part of my required experience, why not. They can only say no, hopefully they will say yes.