bkc3921

Well Known Member
Does anyone think it would be a good idea (or a bad one?) to have a forum topic dedicated specifically to medical issues..i.e,waivers, denials, navigating through the process, FAA horror and success stories, etc?...I know APOA and EAA both address the issue, but I feel better searching here..I'm flying on a waiver now, and these issues are suddenly front and center......I would hope this would not be too much trouble for Mr. Reeves....any input?

One possible drawback is folks may be reluctant to post anything online------it then becomes totally visible to all.

But, yes, I think there is something good to be had for such a topic.

I'm for having the topic but I really don't think including horror stories would be helpful. I could sure tell a few but I don't see where it would be helpful to anyone and it likely would irritate some within the FAA, and I can't see where that would help anyone.

I don't know... The AOPA forum has a wealth of knowledge that we're not likely to duplicate over here nor do I really see a need. In any event, to be successful IMO we'd need two things that AOPA has: the ability to post anonomously and a mod who is a practicing AME and actively participates on the site

Hmmm..

OK...after a couple of messages about the privacy, I withdraw the question..I suppose it was too much to hope for that we could get information without worrying about the privacy issue...but I suppose it says something about the times we live in...I agree it would be fine if we could post anonymously, but that does sound like a lot of trouble..thanks to all...I will just continue to fish around on AOPA and EAA..thanks again...bc

I found a document on the AOPA medical site (while I was still a member) that was a guideline on what was required to get my medical back and it was right on. Getting all the records for the procedure from start to finish and then all the records from doctors and staff for followup visits including rehabilitation, test results and the all important stress test. I also consulted with an AME before applying for my medical to insure I had all the proper documentation. I had over a hundred pages of documentation to send in. I am due for another stress test in September.

Anonymous posting is not critical: 99% of the posts over on AOPA are not anonymous. Therefore I would posit that the real impediment to a medical forum would be having a subject matter expert in the form of an AME available to participate. Over on AOPA they have Dr. Bruce Chien who has a rep second to none with just about everyone to include the FAA. He's also an expert on topics like the issuance of SSRIs. That's a hard act to duplicate.

OK...after a couple of messages about the privacy, I withdraw the question..I suppose it was too much to hope for that we could get information without worrying about the privacy issue...but I suppose it says something about the times we live in...I agree it would be fine if we could post anonymously, but that does sound like a lot of trouble..thanks to all...I will just continue to fish around on AOPA and EAA..thanks again...bc

We discussed this question few weeks ago and the problem that popped up in that thread was that remedies contrary to what a poster's doctor prescribed were passionately presented. This would take us places we don't want to go......

Verifying info presented in a medical forum can be very difficult and "misdiagnosis" potentially life threatening.