Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I have become progressively more of a scanner than a reader of Sport Aviation since Jack Cox retired and I noted that J. MAC McClellan had come to the magazine from FLYING. I stopped my subscription to FLYING long ago so I didn't see this as anything to get excited about - more negative if anything. I read the thread in this forum about the Cessna 182 in a Sport Aviation article and added my unenthusiastic post. But a funny thing happened with this month's (January 2011) magazine - I started reading it! Things in it are actually interesting to me for the first time in years. "The Scratchbuilt Racord-Breaker" about "Arnold Ebnether's speedy design: 52 years in the making" broke the ice I think. I even read MAC's article about his move from New York back to Michigan and enjoyed it. I'm going to check out the Sheet Metal Bending Brake while I eat lunch I think.

I have grown tired of reading material that seems like it is written by dreamy sophomores for bewildered freshmen. I hope this move by the EAA works out - I would like to look forward to the magazine again.

Bob Axsom

I hope you are right Bob, and I will give my copy a second look. Lately, I have spent more time reading and being more satisified reading the Harbor Freight Sales ad. :cool:

Yeah. The content has really improved since the new format came out about a year ago. I hope you didn't throw away all of your old ones.

I get copies from a friend since I quit EAA years ago after being a member since '56 or '57, #4116. I wrote them on several occasions expressing my regret that since Tommy had taken over the magazine in 1984 it became more of a desire to make it a commercial piece rather than something concentrating on Experimental aviation as Paul had originally done; I felt they had lost their first love! Look at the back of your membership card and it no longer says Experimental Aviation Association but simply EAA, as Tommy didn't like the word "experimental" and its implied association. So I get fed by Jack Cox's Sportsman Pilot magazine and Pat Panzera's Contact! magazine. It was Pat and his on-line Experimenter who got EAA somewhat back on track.

Happily for me..........I liked J. MAC McClellan's articles while at Flying magazine. And I still like Flying, as I previously said, in the last thread..... as I still dream of a Cessna Citation 10.. :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I scanned them saw nothing of interest usually

Yeah. The content has really improved since the new format came out about a year ago. I hope you didn't throw away all of your old ones.

I scanned them saw nothing of interest usually and threw them in the trash when the next issue arrived. I prefer the older version as far as size and finish is concerned but until this last issue I found them to be of almost no interest to me personally. I like to read about real builders and experimenters out there and what very special things they are doing today in depth and personal. There are real stories out there about great personal airplane development efforts that are not researched, reported and followed up.

- What is the current status of the homebuilt reduced scale P-38 today - not for all the fantasy reasons but personal, technical and performance.

- The glass RV-7 built by Myron Jenkins - how was it developed and were any performance data collected before the fatal crash?

- Russell Sherwood's Subaru powered Glasair with the unique cooling system that few 244.9 mph in a closed course cross country race. How did he develop it, what is the state of development, etc.?

Bob Axsom

I have commented before on Sport Aviation but thought I would add a new thought to the discusion. Everybody likes the old SA due to all the articles on real people building in their garage. But remember the times way back then, no internet. A lot of the builder tips, how-tos, and building logs are covered in internet forums and builder web pages. It is all out there to read every day and not wait for the monthly magazine to arrive.
I like to read about real builders and experimenters out there and what very special things they are doing today in depth and personal. There are real stories out there about great personal airplane development efforts that are not researched, reported and followed up.
Bob, that is one thing that forums and builder websites do not provide is the interesting, well written, 3rd party perspective narrative that will tell a great story. Of coarse there are some people on this forum that write great stories and trip write ups. Instead of wondering why all the current magazine no longer have all this good stuff I now look forward to reading stuff on this forum (and builders links) every night. If I want to know something I can find it right away and no longer need to look though old magazines or wait/hope next months issue will have a useful article.
Times have changed and all magazines are stuggling with how to keep readership.

Well, whether you like it or not, time marches on! Things change, it's just inevitable. You can dig your heels in all you want but it's just futile.

EAA is diluted with non-builders, but populated with enthusiasts. I've been in Aviation a long time, I too "remember the good ol days". There never coming back. My suggestion is read what you like, support your local Chapter and write letters to the Editor. I preferred the old format, but no one asked me if it was okay to change it.

I still look forward to getting it. Since 99.9% of my mail is depressing, once a month there is a little ray of light.

Just my thoughts. Shoot me if you like!

Sounds familiar

Well, whether you like it or not, time marches on! Things change, it's just inevitable. You can dig your heels in all you want but it's just futile.

EAA is diluted with non-builders, but populated with enthusiasts. I've been in Aviation a long time, I too "remember the good ol days". There never coming back. My suggestion is read what you like, support your local Chapter and write letters to the Editor. I preferred the old format, but no one asked me if it was okay to change it.

I still look forward to getting it. Since 99.9% of my mail is depressing, once a month there is a little ray of light.

Just my thoughts. Shoot me if you like!

The point of this thread is I think somebody at the top IS trying to reenergize the Sport Aviation publication! I could be wrong, but the changes indicate to me a focused effort to fix the inept editing of the magazine! The very recent issue got my attention and I'm inspired about the possibilities. There is a place for the magazine I believe and with skillful editing they will get it there.

Bob Axsom

My point is, everything is in a status of change. You might see some good, some bad but in the end it'll all be different. The only hope if for folks to work to support EAA at the local level, voice their opinions (whether pro or con) and try to pass along our aviation heritage as much as we can.

I have had a fair amount of correspondence with the former editor of SA in an attempt to voice my concerns about the direction the magazine was heading. I came to realize though that the entire organization had evolved into something that no longer met my interests. Even though I grew up with EAA (my Dad was the first Chapter president in our town), the hard core scratch builders and designers that I so admired and wanted to emulate, have become a very small percentage of the membership. The last few chapter meetings I attended only reinforced this notion - with guest speakers speaking about anything other than "building" an airplane. The fact is, good or bad, times are changing and the "old EAA" is gone forever. No matter what incremental improvements are made to SA as a result of letters to the editor, the magazine will still need to reflect the fat part of the membership bell curve, and I'm just not among that population. This realization has reduced my frustration level significantly.

Is it me or...

Is Sport Aviation turning into another Flying magazine?

I was just reading the February 2011 issue and read the following stories:
- Model for Success
- Two-Place Treasures
- Best Buy Piston Twins

I'm really conflicted here. I belong to the EAA and receive Sport Aviation so I can read about homebuilts and unique airplanes.

This issue covers model airplanes, for which there are other magazines that cover this topic and I chose not to subscribe, post war production planes, which are cool and I can accept that article, and finally piston twins, exactly the type of story that caused me to dropped Flying over 20 years ago.

If this keeps up, I see no reason to renew my EAA membership.

Is it me or am I out of line here?

Bill R.,
Well said, I posted a thread yesterday that expressed the same sentiments. However, mine was summarily deleted, so I am glad that you got to say it.

Over the last 20 years or so EAA has progressively become less about Experimental aircraft and more of a competitor to AOPA. I'm not too fond of the switch in focus, but I don't mind reading articles from other aspects of aviation... The warbirds interest me from a historical perspective, the models from a "what do I do this winter now that the weather is cr*ppy anyway" perspective, and when it comes right down to it, to me a piston twin *is* a unique airplane. The only place I see them is in flying schools.

Yes and no

I actually like the new format, although I agree this month was a little weak with the spam can buyers guides. I am also not impressed with the McClellan as a choice either. Overall I'm happy with the mag and in the end that is very small part of why I'm an EAA member anyway.

AOPA on the other hand has hit bottom for me, yes I admit to being a member. I fly turbines for a living and certainly don't want to read about them from these guys. Plus they offer an online addition just like EAA, except they want to pimp you for anther $10 a month - come on! Hirschman is the only guy on staff that I can stand to read, they should trade McClellan off to AOPA for Hirschman.

I hear rumors that Kitplanes is hanging on by a thread - too bad. It's not the best, but I like the variety of having more than one homebuilt aircraft rag to look at.

I hear rumors that Kitplanes is hanging on by a thread - too bad.

I read Kitplanes a few months ago..........and thought I was reading this forum......for a few moments. Same authors.. :)

When it comes to "Flying" magazine, I still enjoy it. Someone on two other forums has been protesting Flying, because of it's positive stance on glass panels and the future of avionics. I happen to have a real interest in the advance of synthetic vision, etc, while this guy just thinks it's a crutch........and is perfectly content with six pacs and old school. I'm not!

Happily, this forum is somewhat more positive when it comes to "glass", GPS, auto-pilots, and synthetic vision. I still want a Citation Ten too!

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

Brent,

I agree with you on AOPA. They seem to be all about selling you something - service or otherwise. I haven't cared for the organization since the new guy came on board replacing Phil Boyer. I'm thinking about not renewing my membership this October. As far as the EAA Sport Aviation magazine I am not liking so much certified coverage as well but will probably stay a member. Although I will never afford the planes that appear in Flying, I still like some of the authors and articles. Kitplanes is the one I look forward to each month. I guess its a homebuilt thing.

Marc - If the rumor is true about being shaky financial - I hope the magazine can survive.

SA & AOPA

I haven't read the flying rags much in years. I am living the life. All airplanes all the time. I am a EAA and AOPA member and get the mags,,, they get filed in 13, hardly look at them.
I used to be a sailor, I read the sailing mags until I moved aboard. Now a sailing mag is a treat as I no longer sail. Fun to see whats up in that world.

I guess I'm a cool-aid drinker. I love both SA and AOPA pilot--can't get enough. A. I love aviation (all aspects of it) and B. since I only participate in a very narrow segment of it, I like to follow what the rest of of it is doing. To that end I'm also an active participant on both the AOPA and Purple Pilots forums. To each his own.....

I guess I'm a cool-aid drinker. I love both SA and AOPA pilot--can't get enough. A. I love aviation (all aspects of it) and B. since I only participate in a very narrow segment of it, I like to follow what the rest of of it is doing. To each his own.....

I agree. I love my RV but would also like to have something different also.
SA, AOPA pilot and Kitplanes are all anticipated every month. Gives me
a chance to read (and dream) about all of Aviation. My favorite mag though
is Air and Space..... great variety of all things that fly.

I I am a EAA and AOPA member and get the mags,,, they get filed in 13, hardly look at them.

Jay, Are you aware that you can be a member of AOPA without the magazine? I haven't received the magazine for many years. Membership is $19/yr.
Unfortunately EAA doesn't give us that option.

I guess I'm a cool-aid drinker. I love both SA and AOPA pilot--can't get enough. A. I love aviation (all aspects of it) and B. since I only participate in a very narrow segment of it, I like to follow what the rest of of it is doing. To that end I'm also an active participant on both the AOPA and Purple Pilots forums. To each his own.....
Exactly my point!
That's why I get different magazines, each with their own focus. If SA changes their focus to be more like AOPA or Flying, I don't need it anymore because I can read about that those types of planes in the other magazines.

I like the stories about some guy who doesn?t have two nickels to rub together but managed to build a pretty cool airplane of his own design. Or about someone who designed and built a fast glass airplane and then realized his wife wanted to ride so he stretched so his wife could ride in back and when he brought it to OSH no one could get enough of it. Or construction tips that I may never use but make me feel like I could build that Hatz if I just read my back issues. Even restoration stories are welcome because I can appreciate the craftsmanship involved.

Stories about how to buy a twin reminds me of something a racing friend of mine once said, ?Any Ahole with money can buy one of those, a real racer builds his own car.?

Expanding focus

I heard Rod Hightower speak at Wicks Aircraft in Highland IL, a few months back. He was comparing the membership of EAA to AOPA and said that they would start adding content to SA to attract more pilots. He said it would not water down the experimental content, but I don't think the mag has gotten any bigger since they added spam can content. I don't agree with his philosophy of increasing membership if all it does is make another AOPA. That said, less than half the membership in my EAA chapter are involved with experimental airplanes. Our past and present presidents drive spam cans.

Hi, guys:

I didn't see this thread until this morning, and I'll comment only on the rumor that KP is hanging on by a thread. It's BS. Pure and simple.

Hightower made an ungracious comment at the Wicks thing about small magazines really hurting, seeming to imply that EAA had it all over the rest of us in print journalism. And on the face of it, that might be true. Our ad pages are down, as are those of just about every magazine in existence. (We don't have an airshow to use as a lever to get advertisers in, and we don't discount our ad rates.) I had the benefit of speaking after him, and made the following points.

But, and this is a big but... we are an extremely efficient and lean business. There are three people between me and the owner of the company--absolutely no layers of profit-sucking fat. Even in the darkest days, we remained profitable. I have many friends at big magazines, and I know that some of the real high-circulation titles ran in the red through 2009 and 2010. We worked to further improve efficiency, and to do more with a reduced editorial budget.

What many readers don't fully realize is that we're what you call a fixed-length book, always 80 pages during the year and more than 100 for our December buyer's guide issue. (I should know the exact number, but I despise that issue, and try to put it out of my head as soon as it's at the printer...) When ad pages go down, editorial content actually goes up. I haven't counted the pages in SA recently, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we had as many pure editorial pages as they do. In normal magazine practice, we would have a much smaller book overall, but our management has committed to keeping the value up and accepting lower profit margins during the lean times to maintain the brand and keep subscribers happy.

Not only that, but KP probably has far more pages dedicated to Experimental aircraft than does SA. Each time I hear EAA wants to expand its market and broaden the appeal of SA, I do a little jig. Perfect. Wonderful. Keep at it. It simply makes my job easier, continuing the focus and permitting me to ignore the rest of the stuff. Cirrus gets a new wing? Great, who cares?

So, bottom line: KP is a profitable magazine that has become even more efficient and is patiently waiting for the market to recover to reap the rewards. Anyone who tells you otherwise is ignorant of the facts.

Marc

Last edited:
As they are heard to say

in a certain Eastern NC military base...HooRahh!

Keep up he good work.:D

Well now ...

Hi, guys:

I didn't see this thread until this morning, and I'll comment only on the rumor that KP is hanging on by a thread. It's BS. Pure and simple.

Hightower made an ungracious comment at the Wicks thing about small magazines really hurting, seeming to imply that EAA had it all over the rest of us in print journalism. And on the face of it, that might be true. Our ad pages are down, as are those of just about every magazine in existence. (We don't have an airshow to use as a lever to get advertisers in, and we don't discount our ad rates.) I had the benefit of speaking after him, and made the following points.

But, and this is a big but... we are an extremely efficient and lean business. There are three people between me and the owner of the company--absolutely no layers of profit-sucking fat. Even in the darkest days, we remained profitable. I have many friends at big magazines, and I know that some of the real high-circulation titles ran in the red through 2009 and 2010. We worked to further improve efficiency, and to do more with a reduced editorial budget.

What many readers don't fully realize is that we're what you call a fixed-length book, always 80 pages during the year and more than 100 for our December buyer's guide issue. (I should know the exact number, but I despise that issue, and try to put it out of my head as soon as it's at the printer...) When ad pages go down, editorial content actually goes up. I haven't counted the pages in SA recently, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we had as many pure editorial pages as they do. In normal magazine practice, we would have a much smaller book overall, but our management has committed to keeping the value up and accepting lower profit margins during the lean times to maintain the brand and keep subscribers happy.

Not only that, but KP probably has far more pages dedicated to Experimental aircraft than does SA. Each time I hear EAA wants to expand its market and broaden the appeal of SA, I do a little jig. Perfect. Wonderful. Keep at it. It simply makes my job easier, continuing the focus and permitting me to ignore the rest of the stuff. Cirrus gets a new wing? Great, who cares?

So, bottom line: KP is a profitable magazine that has become even more efficient and is patiently waiting for the market to recover to reap the rewards. Anyone who tells you otherwise is ignorant of the facts.

Marc

I started this thread based on what I saw in the SA magazine compared to what I had been seeing since Jack Cox retired. I saw it as an improvement and I have longed for that for years.

In another area of product evaluation, I just receive my first issue of Kit Planes with a radial engined Kit Fox on the cover. I saw your photo on the "Round the Patch" page and I recognize a hard and focused man when I see one after 74 years of living and I know one driven man is the soul of successful efforts. I like what I see in the magazine and I will keep buying it as long as you keep producing the quality of content that is meaningful to me.

The only other magazine I read (every single word with my eyes riveted to the page) is Jack and Golda Cox's Sportsman Pilot.

I have no hope for the new EAA President doing a job that aligns with my likes and away from my dislikes - it becomes a "don't care" cell in my memory table. I do care about the Sport Air Racing League and how it succeeds and I hope EAA keeps the AirVenture Cup Race alive each year.

Bob Axsom

Exactly my point!
That's why I get different magazines, each with their own focus. If SA changes their focus to be more like AOPA or Flying, I don't need it anymore because I can read about that those types of planes in the other magazines.

I like the stories about some guy who doesn?t have two nickels to rub together but managed to build a pretty cool airplane of his own design. Or about someone who designed and built a fast glass airplane and then realized his wife wanted to ride so he stretched so his wife could ride in back and when he brought it to OSH no one could get enough of it. Or construction tips that I may never use but make me feel like I could build that Hatz if I just read my back issues. Even restoration stories are welcome because I can appreciate the craftsmanship involved.QUOTE]

Then you'll certainly appreciate not only Kitplanes, but also Jack Cox' Sportsman Pilot and Pat Panzera's Contact! Jack can sandwich incredible amounts of copy in a small magazine because it is filled with lots of detail in fine print. It is also the best coverage of the Reno Air Races each year, where almost a full issue is devoted to who did what in each heat and class. With Pat's Contact! you will get grass-roots experimental aviation with lots of engine details, both certified and alternate. You know how he has been able to bring this back in the monthly on-line Experimenter from EAA, which has been such a success!

I've loved and subscripbed to Kitplanes for years and will continue to do so!

SA I find less exciting...hmmm...an aritcle that mixes in RC aircraft...WTF? There's never an article I just skip in Kitplanes but at least one a month in SA. The only reason I'm a member of the EAA is the local chapter. I could care less about the Wisc mafia and SA.

I'm also a strong and long supporter of the AOPA.

Bob

I agree, the magazines from EAA, as well as AOPA, have changed over the years. I keep my memberships up with both more so for the work they do back in D. C. As small as our community is (and getting smaller) we need all the voices, and horsepower, we can get.
Case in point, last year here in Washington state, we fought a hard battle against a proposed aircraft ownership tax. We won, this time, but several alphabet groups were involved in the effort, including a national voice from AOPA.
I think that alone was worth my dues money, no matter how good/bad the magazine is.

Doug
Seattle area
-4, wings

Hey Marc, thanks for posting about Kitplanes. It's my favorite magazine...hand's down!!! I trash all other mags after reading, but collect my KP's. So much useful info in every issue. Like other pilots, I enjoy all aspects of aviation...but experimental homebuilts are my favorite. Keep up the good work!!!:D

In my mind, EAA and AOPA are redundant. Since I DO want to support the legislative side of the sport and protect our right to fly, I had to stay in one or the other. I dumped EAA because I feel it has betrayed me - I stayed with AOPA because at least I know what I'm getting.

There's an old saying: "keep your expectations low and you will never be disappointed".;)

Kitplanes

Marc,
Thanks for your reply! Its great to hear that KP is here to stay! Sorry for spreading that nasty rumor...

Last edited:
EAA

For those who don't want Sport Aviation, I believe it is still an option to get one of the other magazines. If not it should be. The Vintage magazine is and always has been a first class publication. Glad to hear that Kitplanes is doing ok. I just subscribed for the first time ever after buying it in the magazine store forever. I have decided to drop my AOPA membership and will be writing the president a very pointed letter as to why. I do not give money carte blanch to PAC's such as the one AOPA is running. And I don't want my dues spent on a never ending barrage of solicitations for the PAC and other items. $.36 for each mailing from AOPA, if they stopped the mailings they could have kept the membership fee at the previous level. Both AOPA and EAA laid down and let the truck run over them on the registration renewal issue. This is just another scam by the FAA to employ more people, the registration fee will soon be $100 or more every three years.

Good points

For those who don't want Sport Aviation, I believe it is still an option to get one of the other magazines. If not it should be. The Vintage magazine is and always has been a first class publication. Glad to hear that Kitplanes is doing ok. I just subscribed for the first time ever after buying it in the magazine store forever. I have decided to drop my AOPA membership and will be writing the president a very pointed letter as to why. I do not give money carte blanch to PAC's such as the one AOPA is running. And I don't want my dues spent on a never ending barrage of solicitations for the PAC and other items. $.36 for each mailing from AOPA, if they stopped the mailings they could have kept the membership fee at the previous level. Both AOPA and EAA laid down and let the truck run over them on the registration renewal issue. This is just another scam by the FAA to employ more people, the registration fee will soon be $100 or more every three years.

I had a subscription to Kit Planes years ago but after a while it got too bland to be worth my time or money so I dropped it. It could change again in a heartbeat but for now it looks very good. I'm always looking for speed and would like to see some in depth articles on the real deal - not the usual gee whiz fluff. A strange thing happens when you get into this though, you can't get the authentic view of the racer/builder/modifier. When you put a mic in a racers face or a keyboard in their hands or give them an interviewer it comes across as some BG teacher or performer, not the Bruce Hammer or John Huft kind of racers I know.

You make a good point about the EAA and AOPA at least in my opinion. I, like so many pay the dues for the "voice" and for years have just considered it a part of keeping flying alive. I have zero confidence in the AOPA effort these days so why continue giving them money? The EAA used to have a very intense advocate but he was given another job and his reports do nor appear in SA anymore - not sure how that is going. This new effort the make AB experimentals safer scares the heck out of me (well not really but I know it will only have downside effects for me) and the expected AOPA view is Duh, yep that's a good idea let us hep ya. The EAA hopefully will recognize that as a killer effort against the experimental aircraft movement and throw up some kind of defense. Yes, it is more dangerous than flying slow factory built airplanes and people are going to have accidents and die doing it but it is the very heart of flying - you can't do away with one without doing away with the other. I considered not renewing with AOPA this year but haven't cut it out yet.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Yes, it is more dangerous than flying slow factory built airplanes and people are going to have accidents and die doing it but it is the very heart of flying - you can't do away with one without doing away with the other.

Thank you for articulating this very important point! In the so-called interest of "safety" there are those that would completely eliminate the ability for individuals to build and fly high performance AB aircraft. It seems to me that the vast majority of folks that embrace AB do so FULLY INFORMED. They thoughtfully evaluate, and then choose to accept an increased level of risk for the opportunity to experience an increased level of enjoyment and adventure. You said that this is the very heart of flying...I agree, but would go a step farther and say this is the very heart of LIFE!

Last edited:
Thank you for articulating this very important point! In the so-called interest of "safety" there are those that would completely eliminate the ability for individuals to build and fly high performance AB aircraft. It seems to me that the vast majority of folks that embrace AB do so FULLY INFORMED. They thoughtfully evaluate, and then choose to accept an increased level of risk for the opportunity to experience an increased level of enjoyment and adventure. You said that this is the very heart of flying...I agree, but would go a step farther and say this is the very heart of LIFE!

If they eliminate AB aircraft then they need to eliminate sky diving, motorcycles, mountain climbing, and lots of other fun stuff that makes life exciting.

Hades must have frozen over.

There is a great article in AOPA Pilot about a scratch built airplane styled after a combination of the Howard DGA-15 & DGA-6 and sporting a 600 hp P&W R-1340.

My hat is off to Mr. Dickenson and his DGA-21! I hope he enjoys many hours flying that beautiful aircraft!

It looks to me like AOPA and EAA are trying to take on each other?s membership base.

Mr. Dickenson

I have visited the airplane and the builder several times at Santa Paula. Great guy and always ready to talk airplanes. This is a perfect example of where EAA is missing out. They COULD HAVE AND SHOULD HAVE featured an article about this magnificant airplane. Instead they are too wrapped up in telling the members what a wonderful job EAA is doing. I just dropped my AOPA membership. The money saved will be donated to Lee Bottom Field.

There is a great article in AOPA Pilot about a scratch built airplane styled after a combination of the Howard DGA-15 & DGA-6 and sporting a 600 hp P&W R-1340.

My hat is off to Mr. Dickenson and his DGA-21! I hope he enjoys many hours flying that beautiful aircraft!

It looks to me like AOPA and EAA are trying to take on each other?s membership base.

Now all it needs...........is some paint! :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

write in and give feedback!

I just fired off a letter to EAA just because I don't think J. Mac's latest article was worth the paper it was printed on. ( gee, a twin has 2 engines!)
It's gonna be an awkward time, some might say 'rudderless', for EAA/
Sa until the new people learn the ropes.

A lot of us are vociferous advocates when threatened, but it's easy to become overwhelmed by all the issues.
At least b*tch to AOPA, EAA or your Member of government, and cc the other guys on the issues.

I too see aviation as an easy target for more regulation and fees, while it seems my neighbour can rip up and down the street on his garage-built 4-wheeler, or Harley, or toy-trailer etc. with relative immunity from onerous government interference.

government

The street rod pepole in some states have more problems than we do in aviation. At least the states are limited in their ability to meddle in aviation.

Mr. Dickenson

If you google Mister Dickenson Airplane you will find a lot of excellent photos of the airplane.

Please Donate

Regardless of which aviation magazine you read, regardless of what you think of the content, regardless of your specific aviation interests narrow or broad, when you are done, please donate them to your local middle school's library and help engage the next generation of fliers and builders.