Ron

I seem to remember issues with the 7A/9A and the two lower inside engine mount points. The mount on my 9A has a gap at those two locations. I thought it was hitting the platenuts for the facet fuel pump, but now I don't think so. I saw one reference on Dan's site where he was expecting to have to shim, even though his is a 7 and injected, but couldn't find a follow-up picture on his site..Bottom line is the mount points do not appear to be flat across firewall.
hope all this makes sense..
Ron
9A
FWF/Engine hanging about to begine..

Check carefully..

A friend of mine had the same problem on his -7A, I think they're the same. It was the nutplate you mentioned that was the problem. He was able to modify the nutplate, and install a very short bolt to mount the pump. I can see where the pump might have to be relocated in some instances. We've recently learned the hard way all Van's engine mounts are not the same!
If, in fact, it's not the nutplate, you can shim behind those two mounting points to close the gap.
Good luck!

shim time

OK, guys, it's not the nutplate, guess it's vans, so shims it will be....there is plenty of room between the mount and the nutplate....
Tks
Ron
9A/FWF/Engine

Ron,

This is not unusual.

After insuring that my mount was not being held off by the nutplate, we used large aluminum washers (made to the right thickness in the shop) between the mount and the fw. Some said to simply pull the mount down with the bolts but that would have brought the nutplate back into the equation so I went with the shim washers--I also did not want to preload the mount at that point although it is probably not an issue.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

db